Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1986 Chevy Silverado

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2011, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Chevy Silverado

Hey guys, this is probably a stupid question, but I am going to ask it anyways.

I have this 1986 Chevy Silverado Scottsdale with the 305 in it. I am having problems with my 93' Chevy Beretta GTZ, so I bought my old man's pick up. This truck runs strong, and really doesn't look to bad for bein an old farmers pickup. It has the rust around the wheels and a little on the drivers side door at the bottom, but otherwise its really straight. Hell the bed it perfect, it just needs paint, otherwise there are no holes other than ones that were drilled in it.

I would really like to keep it running well, and I am not to familiar with carburetors, so I just wanted to know what things I could update or change out to make it run better or stronger. I mean I don't have the money to do all the fancy stuff, but if there are just some simple things I can do, I would appreciate it if you guys could let me know.

I've got nothing but respect for my truck and I just want to keep em up running well.

I know this is probably a dumb question and yall probably know this off the top of your head, but I would appreciate it if you could help me out.

Thanks!!
Old October 31st, 2011, 7:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I assume it's a 2 barrell. First being an 86 it is going to be a CCC computer controlled carb with electronic ignition. I'd leave it alone since it is running good. My opinion. If you go messing with it, you probably will reget it.
Old October 31st, 2011, 8:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

regular oil changes, good quality cap and rotor and wires. use brass terminal cap and rotor. i personally like the Taylor brand wires. Accel wires really aren't any better than stock, unless you get into racing wires. ac delco plugs, or ngk brand plugs do well in these motors. check the fuel inlet at carb. inside the housing where the fuel line goes in, there may be a small filter there. from the factory there was. if it's still there, yank it out, get an inline type fuel filter. way simple to install, way easier to change in future. keep the timing in check.
Old October 31st, 2011, 8:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxman04
regular oil changes, good quality cap and rotor and wires. use brass terminal cap and rotor. i personally like the Taylor brand wires. Accel wires really aren't any better than stock, unless you get into racing wires. ac delco plugs, or ngk brand plugs do well in these motors. check the fuel inlet at carb. inside the housing where the fuel line goes in, there may be a small filter there. from the factory there was. if it's still there, yank it out, get an inline type fuel filter. way simple to install, way easier to change in future. keep the timing in check.
It probably will have an in carb fuel filter, IMO nothing wrong as long as the gasket is right, and spring behind it. As far as plugs, go AC Delco again IMO with solid monel plug wires, don't go with carbon fibers.