Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1988 Chevy 1500 Cheyenne door hinge replacement

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2010, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Chevy 1500 Cheyenne door hinge replacement

Hello! I'm new on the block but hope you guys can help. My son has an 1988 chevy cheyenne. 1st car. The drivers door doesn't close properly because of the hinge pins. I understand this is a cronic problem with this generation of pick-ups. We wanted to replace the hinge pins only to find out that the last person welded them into place. We can't get in with a grinder or even file the heads off. So we would like to take the door off to work on it easier and hopefully save the hinge. How do you get the truck side hinge off? The hinge has a 90 degree bend with a bolt into the finder but the body side looks like it's glued on to the truck with some flexible compound. Any suggestions? Or is $350.00 for the body shop to do it worth the expense? Thank you!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 5:25 PM
CF Veteran

Default hinge

that is sealant around the hinge parameter because it is spot welded on the door and cab !
you m9ight try these replqacment pins !
http://www.monsterautoparts.com/chev...or_related.htm

Last edited by old dog; April 2nd, 2010 at 5:29 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:39 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for your help. I kind of thought (or feared) that they were welded on there some how. We did already pick up a set of pins but I'll check out the link you posted as well. Thanks again.
Old April 9th, 2010, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

I am about to embark on the same journey, my Blazer driver door pins i have changed 4 times now , but now the hinge in worn so badly that it isn't the pin causing me problems it's the sag of the door. So tomorrow I will be removing the hinges on door and truck and replacing with Dorman Door Hinge Assemblies (www.dormanproducts.com or www.rockauto.com ) they are heavy duty and warranteed for at least one year. Good Luck with your door...
Old April 12th, 2010, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you, Doug for your suggestion and links on the hinges. These look like they would be a viable option for us to try. Let us know how you made out on your Blazer door project. And if you have any tips on how to get the old hinges off. Thanks again!
Old April 13th, 2010, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

Paul,
First attempt following manufacturers instructions was a no go. It seems there are four spot welds that are to be removed with a certain type of drill bit, as to not permeaite the actual door or frame of the truck. On my particular vehicle these are marked by small dimples that I could not see intially. After removing the door panel and looking inside the door itself I reailzed the true complexity of this DIY job. I will give it another go with this new info i have found and pass it along to you. I have been searching for an illustrated how-to-do on this subject but keep hitting walls, so if youknow of any please send them my way....Thanks , Doug