Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 3:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

1989 Chevrolet K2500 4x4 -- shocks too short?

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2010, 7:26 PM
Don
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 1989 Chevrolet K2500 4x4 -- shocks too short?

Bought a pair of Grabriel G-63609 shocks for the front end of my unmodified 1989 Chevrolet K2500 4x4 Pick-up Truck. These shocks are fully extended when at rest. Would this explain the front end noise--a banging when the shock reaches full extension after the compression of a bump? Seems that the shock should be 4 inches longer. Source for correct shock--can't get the shock length from any of the online shock manufacturers, they just list the product for the vehicle?
Old July 18th, 2010, 7:51 PM
CF Active Member

Heyy! Welcome to the forum! Sorry that I can't help you with your questions but I'm sure someone else on here will be able to.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 7:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Don,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Since you had a tech question, I posted it here in the Full-Sized Pickup section, and made my post to bring it to the top of the field.

I went to the Gabriel site and verified your parts choice, it was correct.

I can only think of three approaches to the problem. First, most gas shocks are packaged with a nylon cable strap or plastic restraint to hold the shock in the compressed position in order to prevent the nitrogen gas from escaping. Were your shocks still packed in the compressed position when you got them? If so, there's almost no way the gas could have leaked out.

As to the unmodified suspension-do you have your RPO codes translated yet? Possibly the truck came stock with a small lift which isn't included in the Gabriel catalog for that year. You could try the VIN translate at the beginning of the Tech section to see if your truck was assembled with a rare production option. More common now since the "HD" models, are "HVY" -HD option 2 inch body raise, and "Z85"-Chassis Package-High Payload,Firm Ride, for instance.

If you have IFS, what size are your tires? Is it possible that a prior owner installed a higher profile tire, by torquing the torsion bars to raise the front end? In many cases with the heftier pickups, no adjustment to the rear would be needed to install beefier tires. But it would solve the mystery of the shocks not fitting with zero suspension modifications...

Last edited by therewolf; July 22nd, 2010 at 7:57 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Don
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by therewolf
Hi Don,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Since you had a tech question, I posted it here in the Full-Sized Pickup section, and made my post to bring it to the top of the field.

I went to the Gabriel site and verified your parts choice, it was correct.

I can only think of three approaches to the problem. First, most gas shocks are packaged with a nylon cable strap or plastic restraint to hold the shock in the compressed position in order to prevent the nitrogen gas from escaping. Were your shocks still packed in the compressed position when you got them? If so, there's almost no way the gas could have leaked out.

As to the unmodified suspension-do you have your RPO codes translated yet? Possibly the truck came stock with a small lift which isn't included in the Gabriel catalog for that year. You could try the VIN translate at the beginning of the Tech section to see if your truck was assembled with a rare production option. More common now since the "HD" models, are "HVY" -HD option 2 inch body raise, and "Z85"-Chassis Package-High Payload,Firm Ride, for instance.

If you have IFS, what size are your tires? Is it possible that a prior owner installed a higher profile tire, by torquing the torsion bars to raise the front end? In many cases with the heftier pickups, no adjustment to the rear would be needed to install beefier tires. But it would solve the mystery of the shocks not fitting with zero suspension modifications...
Thanks therewolf! My new Gabriel shocks were not packaged with the nylon straps and were in the fully extended position. They seem to have the normal compression force to collapse from the extended position. I'm the original owner--no mods to suspension. Tires are LT245/75R16 mounted on the original rims--these are identical to the original tires mounted on the vehicle as listed on the original equipment window sticker. I have torsion bars -- IFS, correct? How do I translate the RPO codes and the VIN? My RPO code is L05. I seem to remember in buying this vehicle that it had a heavy duty towing package. The original equipment window sticker on the optional equipment list says "6CP Heavy duty chassis equipment" and "GT5 rear axel 4.10 ratio".
How can I get shocks that will fit--can I just add 4 inches to the length of the at rest position? But even then how do I find them since shocks are always (?) sold according to the vehicle and not to length and end fastener type? Go to an off-road shop and pay big $$$$?
Don
Old July 24th, 2010, 7:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, IFS= Independent Front Suspension, in the case of the Silverado/Sierra, with torsion bars.

So the tires are stock, and no prior owners haunting you.

Try some thread searches here, and give it a few days to get some input from other members who may be more familiar with this year truck

To get your VIN read, post in the "Please read my VIN" thread hosted by ShawnVW at the beginning of the CF Tech Section. It seems as is you may have located the pertinent RPO code already, however.

Don't be discouraged, you may be able to return the Gabriel shocks for store credit since they didn't fit as promised. Furthermore, the 4X4 shops I've been to haven't been too piratical. They do tend to horn ya for full retail, howsomever