Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1990 Z71 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2006, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Z71 Won't Start

Hello to all I'm a newbie... while my daily driver is a 2002 Chevrolet Blazer 4x4 I've done very little work on Chevy's. Most of my wrenching turn has been done on air-cooled VW's, my 65 Stang and antique tractors. However, I recently purchsed a 1990 Silverado Z71 (350/4spd auto). The truck had set for some time before I bought it, however after a little work I had it running. I drove it around my place for a few days fine, no problems. Then I was driving it one evening and I stopped and began to put it reverse immediately the engine died, and wouldn't start again. I thought that I'd run out of gas or something so I put five gallons in it and she would still turn over but not start. I called my friend who has a tractor to pull me back to the house. I hooked the truck up, put it in neutral and pulled it about 30 feet and I tried it one more time and it cranked right up. Several days later I went out to drive it cranked it up backed up to the shop to pump the tires up. While pumping the tires up I let it sit in Park with the engine idling pretty as you please for about 5 minutes. I got back in the truck and put it in reverse and it died. I've pushed it about 30 feet in nuetral like I did last time just to see it I could get something but I got nothing. So I pulled a plug and I'm not getting any fire. So I replaced the control module in the distributor. Still no fire when I turn the engine over. I've got fire going to the coil. The check engine light comes on as soon as I turn the key in the ignition. Any Ideas? thanks.
Old September 24th, 2006, 2:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1990 Z71 Won't Start

You might try the Magnetic Pickup in the distributor. Or better Yet, get another distributor and swap it out. Definitely sounds like a dist related problem.