Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1992 chevy 2500 duelly

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2010, 7:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1992 chevy 2500 duelly

my dads 1 ton has pooped out on us! it will not start.. it done this last year. he added some of that gas treatment stuff to get water out and clean wahtever is making it do this .. and it worked. this year we added it and we cant get it to fire at all!.. we have used starting spray. nothing!!! we plan on getting new plugs and wires as soon as the snow melts(wont be soon since we are getting 5-8 tonight).. it will backfire thru the breather everynow and then. im suspecting its the plugs n wires. it sounds like it wants to fire everynow and then it'll speed up in RPM like its about to fire but nothing.. anybody got anythign of this? its got a 5.7 gas engine.. and befor this it was acting up real bad.. missing even warmed up.. any help would be nice thx guys
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

fuel pressure check, change fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter. check timing if you can get it running, but remember to put ecm in "bypass" mode. (there's a tan color wire that is basically the computerized advance. on my "94 silverado it was on in the main harness for computer on passenger side, inside cab. single tan wire with connector. it will set a code while running, but this will allow you to set timing to spec. plug it back in when you're done, reset to erase code.) also check all vacuum lines for leaks, breaks, check all sensor connections. good luck gotstylez. and congrats on "promotion"
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by maxxman04
fuel pressure check, change fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter. check timing if you can get it running, but remember to put ecm in "bypass" mode. (there's a tan color wire that is basically the computerized advance. on my "94 silverado it was on in the main harness for computer on passenger side, inside cab. single tan wire with connector. it will set a code while running, but this will allow you to set timing to spec. plug it back in when you're done, reset to erase code.) also check all vacuum lines for leaks, breaks, check all sensor connections. good luck gotstylez. and congrats on "promotion"
i dont have anything to do a fuel pressure check or timing.. plus i have no idea how to do that. i can do anything else basic lol.. but the fuel filter,plugs,wires all that we plan on doing.. he said he hasnt tuned it up in a while and last time i remember it was 5 years ago so im SURE its something to do with plugs n wires since it was missing so bad!..mine did that same thing when i needed plugs n wires...if anybody else has anything i could check..it would help.. i do believe its got 183k on it..
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

You need to GIVE it to me. I'll fix it, though you'll never see it again.
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
You need to GIVE it to me. I'll fix it, though you'll never see it again.

Trade it for your truck .. lol but really the engine always ran good!.. doesnt burn any oil.. good 350 engine if u ask me..
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

I said GIVE, not trade. Try the plugs and wires and go from there.
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
I said GIVE, not trade. Try the plugs and wires and go from there.

do not yell at me! lol yea i will..
Old March 1st, 2010, 2:17 PM
Super Moderator

me 1 gmc 0 lol.. i win! muahaha got it running! hard to start it tho.. it was smoking real bad. smelled like oil burning and the plugs i pulled out was a light brown and on the threads was a real dark brown.. they needed changed. and also on the coil wire on the dis. cap it was corroded .....so good game gmc..but i win