Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1992 Silverado/ Gears binding up???? Dont know

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2007, 8:38 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Silverado/ Gears binding up???? Dont know

)I got a 92 Silverado, 305, 700R4. 134,500 miles. My freind has a 1990, but extended cab...mines a single. We have identical problems. In mine, sometimes when I take off from a stop I feel and hear a "give" and a resonating sound in through the driveline, then the truck "catches" and moves. This happens quickly, under a second. I have grabbed and tried to move the driveline. Tight and still. Today I made the connection between the "grab-and-catch" from take off and how the truck feels when I come to stop. If I feel like someones gently rear-ending me as my wheels are coming to a hault, its going to do it whenI take off. If shift to nuetral then back to drive while sitting still at the light, it seems to "release" itself from whatever bind it gets into while stopping. Freinds truck does same thing. His has done it for two years. Anyone help?
Old October 4th, 2007, 9:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 1992 Silverado/ Gears binding up???? Dont know

I was just talking about this a few minutes ago... That's a two piece driveshaft right? Take a look at the carrier, where the two shafts meet up and try greasing it, should be a grease tit there. You may need to replace the carrier bearings. I am pretty sure that's a two piece, if not let me know!
Old October 4th, 2007, 9:30 PM
CF Active Member

Well, my freinds 90 is a two piece, but mine being single cab is one. I've gotten to the point to where I have ruled out U-joints. Its like something in the transmission and something in the differential aint meshing upon stopping.
Old October 4th, 2007, 9:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Like I've said before, it's hard to diagnose over the net, as I am sure you understand. What I'd do is look at the the driveshaft U joints since it's not a two piece. Ugh... if I was there I am pretty sure I could tell you what was wrong. I'll ask my friend tomorrow and see what he says, but if I was a betting man I'd say it's the transmission. Could be something as simple as the transmission mounts. If you'll look at the crossmember, look where the tail of the shaft is resting on the crossmember, check to see if there is a rubber padded mount there (made of hard rubber) and not dry rotted out.
Old October 4th, 2007, 9:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Yeah, there was another guy posting about a similar problem. I might suggest looking online for some common types of problems, seems this happens with 2 piece driveshafts but you've stated it's one piece. Kinda threw me off! I know sometimes those carries get a little sloppy and cause problems and can act as if the tranny or rear is acting up. This problem may be under some kind of recall by Chevy.
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Sounds like the transfer case is getting some slop in the chain. With excess slop the chain will try to climb the gears causing the truck to have a drag or being held back feeling.
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:32 AM
CF Active Member

Default Differential Fluid Change 92 1500

I posted earlier about a clunk along the driveline. Believe I got it figured out. Yoke Slip and Clunk is what GM calls it. Seriously. But anyway I changed my differential fluid. I sucked out about 2 quarts, slightly over, not much. I do know that sucking it out dont get all of it, but i didnt want to risk creating a leak from the rear cover, when the factory seal on it is bone dry. No leaks. Why jack with it. I get to AutoZone and they look up the capacity of it, and it says 2 and 3/4 qts. I may have left 1/2 quart of fluid in there? Also when I fill it back, I wantitto just barely seep out of the fill hole when the plug is removed, right? Not pour everywhere....
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:46 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Differential Fluid Change 92 1500

You just went backwards on changing the fluid there. You are leaving quite a bit of dirt n metal shavings possibly in your diffy. From what I know when a rear diff doesnt get proper cleaning the pinion gearscan blow apart in piecesn cause you further money spending on pinion shaft n gears and possibly ring gear. I suggest you take the cover off and re-do everything. Buy a rattle can of brake clean for spraying down the inside of the diffy and the get some RTV silicone in a squeeze tube for making the seal. You may not want to break the seal from factory but its mandatory on R&R of fluid for a thorough cleaning.
Old October 7th, 2007, 9:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Wow dude,most these people are pretty clueless. You Have excessive Play in your pinion at your rear end correct? It sounds like your not capable of fixing it since you didnt want to pull the cover. Take it to a professional you can trust. It sounds like the pinion bearing is smoked. If your determined for a quick fix pull the cover, inspect the ring and pinion and see how much shavings are in there. If there are no chunks broken off the gears and there not shaved down to razor sharp youmight get lucky and justtighten the pinion nut. It is in the center of the yoke. you have to remove the driveshaft. Dont pull it out of the transfercase cuz it will leak all over. Closely inspect your u joints while you have it out....This is not the correct way to fix it right. Id shop around for a bearing kit and mabey a ring and pinion depending on how it looks
Old October 8th, 2007, 7:26 PM
CF Active Member

I dont know. I have never looked inside a differential. Wouldnt it have the symptoms all of the time? Cause it dont skip and grab all of the time....I dont know. Am I looking at a fatal accident like rear end lock and loss of control if something fails?

Quick Reply: 1992 Silverado/ Gears binding up???? Dont know