Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1993 Chevy K1500 Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2010, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Chevy K1500 Help!!!!

First I would like to say that my mechanical experience is zero before working on this truck. I recently bought a 1993 Chevy K1500 with a blown engine. I bought an engine, 5.7 liter, from a salvage yard and it was heard running smoothly before purchase. My truck is a manual transmission and the engine came form an automatic. I installed the newly bought engine and it fired right up, first crank. However, I can hear the lifter arms clattering. Also, there is oil leaking from somewhere in the very front on the driver side, I can not pin point it. It only leaks when the engine is running. The original radiator and engine did not have the transmission cooling system. I went ahead and hooked up these hoses to the new radiator because they were there. I drained the oil out of the engine a couple weeks before it went into the truck. After filling the oil today, with 5 quarts, it read as if it was over filled on the dipstick. I drained a quart out, and it seemed about right. I guess my question is, why am i hearing so much noise in the lifters? Will it take a while for the oil to pushed up to them? Should I let it run for a while and see if they will lubricate properly and stop making noise, or could i cause major problems by letting it run with them clanking. My oil pressure regulator on the engine is set up for a light, on or off. My truck's gauge is made to read pressure (analog), so I am not sure of the true pressure until I switch out the two sensors. Also I would like to know if I should switch out the unit around the filter from the original motor that does not have the extra lines (that run to the radiator) that I do not seem to need. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I am very new at this, so I do not know all the proper terms for everything. Thanks.
Old August 9th, 2010, 1:17 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when changing the oil in these it is wise to fill the oil filter so you dont starve the engine of oil, it does take 5 quarts, the last bit wasnt circulated yet, add it back in. the clatter you hear is most likely from the oil not circulating yet. if you havent had it running for more than a couple seconds i would take off the oil filter and fill it with oil