Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1995 California Approved Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2011, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 California Approved Catalytic Converter

Hey guys,
It's that time again. My 1995 Chevy 2500 pickup (7.4L) needs to pass smog in California so that I can register it again. I took it up to the local station and they told me that though my car meets all the smog emissions requirements (I passed both the 15mph and the 25mph test), I failed smog because I have a "modified catalytic converter"

They told me that my truck only has one catalytic converter, but the schematic they have dictates that it should have two. I don't understand how/why it should have two or how it passed smog even though it didn't have the converter required.

Is my truck "modified" or is the smog check place wrong? I've tried searching the internet and I've tried calling the dealership but nobody seems to have the answer. Can you guys help? Thanks so much!
Old March 20th, 2011, 3:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default converters

Some of the trucks had a cat on each pipe comming off the manifolds. Go to a parts store they will have a picture of your ex system,showing what is supposed to be there. If you buy a new cat make sure it is recommended for the land of fruits and nuts,some aren't.