Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1995 CK1500 4x4 Bleeding ABS Brakes

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2015, 1:38 PM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1995 CK1500 4x4 Bleeding ABS Brakes

I have an older truck that I cant seem to bleed brake lines or Power ABS system. Brake pads and shoes are almost new. Rotors and drums are fine. I replaced MC and that is when mushey brake peddle started. Mechanic friend indicated that there are special tools and techniques. I have a shop manual but it is useless. Anyone have step by step process or know of video????? This really sucks! Help!
Old November 1st, 2015, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brake Fluid Bleeder

This is what I used when I replaced my brake lines, I did the rear passenger first then rear driver then front passenger then front driver. Took about 45 minutes to an hour but was able to do it by myself.
Old November 1st, 2015, 11:43 PM
CF Beginner

My truck is a 97 k1500.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 3:13 PM
CF Active Member

I appreciate your response, but what is the process? My MC cap has a large pop-off oval fill, not a screw on that you can attach a device and pump pressure into. So how does the Harbour Freight tool work?
Old November 2nd, 2015, 11:18 PM
CF Beginner

Take the cap off the master cylinder.
Fill it with fluid.
Leave the cap off.
Use the bell shaped bottle with the handle and attach the small rubber hose to the top of it , take off the black zerk fitting adapter and attach the other end of the hose directly onto the zirk.
Hook up an air line to the back of the handle. ( 80-90 psi works best)
Loosen the zirk about a quarter turn and squeeze the handle, air will flow out of the front of the tool creating vacuum drawing brake fluid thru the line and into the bottle.
After 10- 20 seconds.
Slowly close the zirk and at the same time releasing the handle of the tool. ( it took me a couple of tries to get the hang of it.) So they close and shut off at the same time.
Top of the master cylinder.
Repeat, until all four lines are done.
HTH.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 8:44 AM
CF Active Member

Thx for replying. Looks like Bellshaped device has garden hose thread fitting on one end? Bellshaped device's handle may also have one that is not visible? May not?? That is confusing. Where is air compressor hose attached on bellshaped device? 80-90 PSI has to be connected somewhere on device...right? You mentioned removing zerk fitting? I assume you meant black fitting on end of bellshapped devices' clear tubing so that tubing directly attached to truck brake line zerk fitting and is held in place with small compression hose clamp left attached on clear tubing?

Your information sounds like that you back flowing fluid up brake line back to MC?

If so, how do you determine when line is free of air? You are under truck pushing fluid into MC??? You can't see air bubbles stop. And, at some point, your MC should overflow.

Do you need someone watching and checking MC for bubbles stopping???

I don't see how this would get air out of ABS control box, but if it worked for you, I'll will sure try it.

Besides, if it works, I won't have to listen to my wife complain about pumping brake peddle.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

The air line hooks to the back of the handle that you can't see in the picture. But you do need to supply and install the male air fitting into the back of the handle, one that is compatible with your air compressor line . You are correct about removing the black zirk adapter from the hose,I didn't use the supplied hose, I went to the hardware store and bought a flexible rubber hose that the ID is a little smaller than the OD of the zirk so it will stay on the zirk better. The tool will pull brake fluid from the master cylinder thru the line and out the brake caliper lowering the level in the master cylinder, so the master cylinder needs to be toped off occasionally. when using the tool I didn't squeeze the handle 100%, I feathered it a little at a time, it will pull the fluid thru and the air out. Somebody else might have been able to do it in about 15 minutes but it took me about an hour but it did work.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 9:04 PM
CF Active Member

Now, it makes sense! THX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!