Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1996 cevy 3500 6.5L

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2010, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 cevy 3500 6.5L

I've got a 1996 chevy 6.5 L and cannot get more than 12 miles to the gallon? any suggestions?
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi All_out_Chevy_Man_1988,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I've got a 2500 CCLB, so I feel your pain, brother.

Let's start with a little information first, what's the gear ratio?
Are you willing to give up some low-end power for fuel economy? If you can "jump a ratio"-go from 410s, bypass( "jump") 373s and install 342s, I did this with my truck, added 3MPG to my highway #, and doubled my gas mileage around town. Not to mention reduced wear and tear on the drivetrain. Gearing down 1 size just doesn't do that much for you,though, and it's expensive.(@2000$)
Do you have a cover on the bed of your truck already? (big increase--2 to 3.5 MPG) A tonneau or aerodynamic fiberglass cap also protects the contents inside your bed from the weather.

Religiously following maintenance routines, such as transmission filter changes and tire inflation help keep the MPG # under control.
How's the paint job? Wash and wax that big boy. This works especially well for long trips.
Gas shocks help, the firmer the ride the better.
Slightly overinflating your tires-(2- to-3 LBS MAX, don't go nutz) will increase your mileage.

Go to the site "ecomodders.com" for 100 gas-saving tips.

The downside here is a one-ton truck has the larger drivetrain and gearing which does not lend itself specifically to gas economy.

Most increases are going to be a cumulative sort. Few changes, with the exception of covering your bed and swapping down a couple gears are going to produce more than 1/2MPG savings each. So you have to go for 10 or 20 small changes to really peak out gas performance.

The upside is you can substantially increase your MPG, if you set your mind to it. I started with a dismal Factory Highway MPG Rating of 11.5 MPG. Now, on economy runs, I get 18MPG Highway. Many popular SUVs don't get that. For me, when I used to get down to 1/4 of gas, it was condition sweat. Now, it's no sweat.

Last edited by therewolf; March 10th, 2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Not to be a bad guy or anything, but most people don't buy trucks for fuel mileage.

I bought mine to farm with and bought a beater s-10 for 500 bucks to drive back and forth to work and when I purchased my 04, I went in with full knowledge that fuel mileage was gonna be the last of my concerns.
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, but how much money am I looking @? I'm 17 and my dad gave me this truck and i'm trying to save money on diesel but still trying to preserve the truck and not sell given that it is basically in mint condition.
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

Yea I feel somewhat the same way but I live in a small town (Camden,OH,) preble county and my family and myself own about 4,678 acres of this county and need better gas mileage if possible due to all the runnin around.
Old March 11th, 2010, 4:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just because you have a big truck doesn't mean you can't still try to get respectable gas mileage.

Sure, they're not gas stingy compacts, but does that mean you just take the
attitude "well, it's a truck, so screw it" ?

I'm well on the way to doubling my highway MPG, re-mapping the FI may be next.

OP, does your year vehicle have PCM? If so, that can be re-programmed in the diesels for better fuel economy.

Run with your tailgate down or removed. This will give you a MPG or two.

Tonneaus cost from 150$ for a cheap one to 700$+. If you're using it for a farm, a hard cover or fiberglass cap may be out of the question, due to your hauling needs. But a cheap cover can be used only when the bed's empty, and will probably pay for itself in less than a year.

New gears are @2000$ with new bearings, if they're done by a shop. It's less if you know someone who can help you do it. What's your gear ratio?

Don't forget to look up ecomodders.

Last edited by therewolf; March 11th, 2010 at 4:15 PM.