Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1996 Crank Sensor Issues. Help!?!?

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2012, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Crank Sensor Issues. Help!?!?

Guys, the following three posts were ones I had previously made on another forum. I copied these over here to see if anyone had anything to chime in on, as I am at a loss right now on what to do next. Help!!!!

Hi guys, I am new here, but I need to ask a question. I have a 96 Silverado C2500 with the 5.7L engine. Anyway, I went out one day to start it, and it just cranked over and never started. I figured it was low on gas (I hadn't drove it for a few weeks and it was low then) so I put a couple of gallons in it. Still did not start. I pulled the cap and rotor to make sure they were alright, a little corroded, but looked alright after I cleaned it up. I then put a timing light on it to see if there was spark while it was cranking, of course, nothing. I checked fuel pressure, 60 PSI, should be good. Tested the coil, primary and secondary both good. So I got to thinking, and thought about the crank sensor. I looked at a deal on testing it, crawled under the truck, and found that the wires had been completely pulled out of the plug! Not sure if it was a cat, rat, or sabotage. Anyway, I found a wiring diagram (since they were pulled out I had no idea which one was which) and reconnected all the wires. 12v to pin A (pink), ground to B (purple), and pickup to C (yellow). Guess what? Still will not start. Now my question is this. Since the ground for the sensor is provided by the computer, is it possible that since the wires were pulled loose, maybe power hit the ground during one of the key cycles while I was cranking on it and fried the computer before I knew it was pulled loose?

Last edited by fish2222; January 10th, 2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: mods
Old January 10th, 2012, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Here is another part to this story too. We weren't sure if they wiring was pulled out by a person or a rat. But I am pretty sure it was sabotage now. When I pulled the crank sensor out, the bolt was loose, and the top half of the sensor pretty much fell out when I took the bolt out, leaving the bottom half in the hole. I seriously doubt a rat could pull hard enough to loosen the bolt, pull the wires out and break the sensor in half. It also has a wells part number on it, which I am pretty sure it has never been replaced. The weird part is that one of the neighbors has a truck about that same year that was gone for a while, and mysteriously after mine quit, his is back again. Course, that is what happens when you live next door to a house full of criminals.
Old January 10th, 2012, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I got a new sensor, made sure the wiring was correct, but still no fire. When I plug in my scanner, it still shows no RPM's when it cranks either. The sensor has power and ground, but it seems like it is putting out 8 volts all the time on the output side. I took it out, and tested it with with a power supply and meter. When I have 12v applied, and move a screwdriver across the front of it, it drop to 0v, and then back to 12v as soon as I take it away, so I would guess the sensor is working alright. I read somewhere that it should go to 5v when tripped but is a 0v the rest of the time, so I am not sure which it right. Frustrating...
Old January 11th, 2012, 7:05 AM
CF Senior Member

did you replace the connector with a new one?did you check the wiring going back to the computer? i had seen some pics on the web of burnt harness by the exhaust manifold when i did my crank sensor i did the connector at the same time napa sells it