Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1997 Chevy 1500 running problems

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2011, 3:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Chevy 1500 running problems

Ok, so I have a 1997 chevy 1500 5.7 litre V8 that has been running like a champ until about a month ago. The problem started right after replacing my fuel pump. The first day with the new fuel pump was great; however, the next day when I filled it up it began having problems, especially when the engine was cold. The problems consisted of having no power and stalling when I would push on the gas pedal. It would Idle fine, and if I barely pressed the pedal it would be fine; however, when I would do anything more than that it would either stall, back fire in the engine, or get some power. When the engine is warm it has most of its power back; however, when I floor the truck it (if it's in a dead stop) bogs down for a second and then picks up speed until about 3,000 rpm. After that it has major power loss and creeps up into the rpms so slowly it looks like i'm trying to pull 5th wheel with a civic! I have changed the M.A.P. sensor, M.A.F. sensor, cap and rotor (of the distributor), and fuel filter. The only thing that slightly helped was the cap and rotor. The spark plugs are fine, the spark plug wires are fine, and weirdly enough the only code that comes up is that the catalytic converters are failing. I'm at the point where I don't know what it could be. I've been told that it could be the catalytic converters; however, the catalytic converters have been failing for over a year and i've never had this problem. Can catalytic converters clog the muffler? If so that would make sense for the high rpm power loss, but not for the cold start problem. I know that my fuel tank has a little crap in it, but I don't think there's that much. Also, if there were that much crap in the fuel tank why would my truck run fine after installing the new fuel pump? Wouldn't the problems occur immediately? One last thing: I have frequently overfilled my truck. After the pump automatically stops I would put another 3-5 gallons in. I've heard that there's some vapor canister that leads to the fuel pump. Could I have gotten liquid fuel into the canister? Would that cause any of these problems? Any help is seriously appreciated.
Old June 16th, 2011, 8:04 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you check your fuel pressure?i had a 83 chevy wagon cat break apart and clog my muffler up you could hear it rattling around in the cat when i moved the exhaust pipe around

Sean

97 4x4 burb