Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1997 chevy k1500 won't stay running after 4 seconds

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2021, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 chevy k1500 won't stay running after 4 seconds

Hey guys I need your help. I bought a truck from this guy 3 months ago and i didn't know he had a Boat battery hooked to it instead of a car battery. So this is what happened, I was driving on the highway and my truck just killed on me. My first assumption was that im out of gas because i was low,

so i put gas in it still no start. Also I replaced the battery and got my alternator tested and it was bad. So I put a new alternator in thinking it would fix the problem but it didn't. It still would start up and die after a few seconds. It runs when we put gas in the throttle body but it die when the gas run out. Also if I try to start it and give it some throttle it won't start, and when I start it without the throttle and give it a little throttle it dies faster. Have anyone seen a problem like this? I really need help.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 4:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

So you are describing a fuel problem; it runs adding gas so you have spark. When you turn the key to "on" position, do you hear the fuel pump run? If yes, then I would consider changing the ICM. If you do not hear the pump run, you need to explore further reasons for that (ie, bad pump, bad fuse, bad relay etc)
Old January 22nd, 2021, 7:10 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
So you are describing a fuel problem; it runs adding gas so you have spark. When you turn the key to "on" position, do you hear the fuel pump run? If yes, then I would consider changing the ICM. If you do not hear the pump run, you need to explore further reasons for that (ie, bad pump, bad fuse, bad relay etc)
Exactly. Rule out ignition. I'd suggest since I am either a maf or carb "person" look for cracks/leaks in the air intake.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 4:41 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
When I turn the key on i hear the pump running, also I changed the fuel filter and gas was pumping through the line whenever the key on. I will be changing the ICM today. Thanks.!! I'll keep you posted
Old January 29th, 2021, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default Problem solved

Hey guys I just solved the problem. It was a little rubber hose on the fuel pump that had a rip in it to cause it too not hold pressure. The fuel pump would pump but it would leak from the hose connected too it causing the vehicle to stall due too low fuel pressure. That's guys for the help.!!