Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Car won't start after running out of gas

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2017, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start after running out of gas

I ran out of gas yesterday in my 2005 Malibu. My husband came and put 2 gallons in it and it started right up. I went to a gas station and was going to fill it up but the pumps were going so slow that I only ended up putting another 2 gallons in (it took almost 10 minutes to put that in). I left today to go to take my daughter to a doctor appointment out of town and when I went to pull in to a gas station not far from my house, my car cut off and I had to coast to a pump. I filled the tank up and when I got back in to start it, it wouldn't turn over or anything. Nothing is working now...the radio, lights, nothing. Is this because I ran out of gas yesterday or is it just a coincidence and I need to get someone to jump the car off?
Old March 15th, 2017, 2:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

No electrical anything? That's not because you ran out of gas. Have you noticed any slow cranking when trying to start it? This could be a dead alternator, then running the battery down. It could also be a fuseable link.