Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1997 k1500 starting issues

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2007, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1997 k1500 starting issues

My 1996 K1500 5.0 L is having trouble starting. Turning the ignition from off to start in a swift motion the engine will turn over but wont start.. However, if I turn the key from off on, wait from 1 sec to sometimes 4-5 sec for the dummy lights to come on and then to fully engaged it starts with ease. It is also a stick shift if you think that could have anything to do with it but i feel sure it doesn't.
Old September 24th, 2011, 1:05 PM
CF Junior Member

My '98 K1500 has intermittent starting problems. It turns over fine, sometimes fires right up, sometimes doesn't. If it's going to fire it happens right away, so I don't turn it over and over, just quick bursts. The "turn the switch on and off 3 times then hit the starter" ploy works sometimes. It happens when I've run it for a while, then shut it off for an hour or more. It starts quickly if it's only a few minutes. Weird problem, since the 5.7 Vortec runs great all the time.
Old September 24th, 2011, 1:08 PM
CF Junior Member

It sounds like your fuel pump is not holding pressure. It's a good idea any time to give the fuel and electrical systems a few seconds to boot up before hitting the starter. Read it in my Buick owners manual.
Old September 24th, 2011, 1:10 PM
CF Junior Member

A lot of experienced Chevy guys say that about AC Delco parts. I use them now, and haven't had any parts issues since I quit buying those cheap-xxxx eBay parts.
Old January 20th, 2015, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default I have a problem with my 97 Silverado

Originally Posted by lost_in_alabama
My thought is that the timing chain jumped. How many miles on the engine? If it will start if you retard the ignition timing, then that might be it.
Hi I read your quote on the timing and I went to start my truck and the engine started but the rpm didn't register or speedometer didn't work and little tiny Prius power and the engine light comes on and reads out torque converter but I just replaced transition and torque converter 3 weeks ago mr transmission . And there saying it might be computer but my mechanic is saying he can't find the problem and can't guarantee that switching the computer would fix this issues . Have you ever heard of any thing or have any insight on this aggravating situation . Thanks
Old January 20th, 2015, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by philly215
My 1996 K1500 5.0 L is having trouble starting. Turning the ignition from off to start in a swift motion the engine will turn over but wont start.. However, if I turn the key from off on, wait from 1 sec to sometimes 4-5 sec for the dummy lights to come on and then to fully engaged it starts with ease. It is also a stick shift if you think that could have anything to do with it but i feel sure it doesn't.
I'm having a similar issue with my 97 Silverado 1500 the engine turns over but the truck isn't on it starts but rpms aren't registering now speedometer then 5 sometimes 6 try's on a good day it will turn over good and drive strong . Did you get your problem fixed ? If so let me know what the issue was . Thanks
Old February 9th, 2015, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default my 2 cents

I had a similar issue at the beginning of January with my 98 z71. I replaced my distributor (the insides were rusted), rotor cap. Also I replaced the coil pack. It had a crack down the side. While I was at it I cleaned my MAP with MAP cleaner from the part store. I had a couple of burnt spark plugs so I replaced the plugs and wires. It's running like a champ.