Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2000 Silverado Z71 5.3L Overheating while towing

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2009, 8:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you did change the gear ratio right? it thought this was common sense? I run 4:56 gear ratio with my 35s you should run 4:10 with 33s
Old April 30th, 2009, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx for the ideas..

No, I did not regear the truck.. still have 3:73. I was under the impression this would help the torque and speed more then cooling.. I will definetly look into regearing.

The problem started prior to replacing any of the parts including the fans..

The temp Im towing in is aprox. 65f. nothing hotter then 75f... The radiator is brand new and the condensor in front is clean.

I bought the Thermostat from Napa and was a Chevy approved replacement part. It runs at the same temp as the stock one did. 195

The radiator is a closed tank.. Only has a cap on the overflow. ill definetly pick up a new one..

The gauge should be okay due to the temp only goes up when towing.. never without the trailer...

The oil has never looked like chocolate milk but tomorrow I am going to test the antifreeze for a headgasket leak. I was told some radiator shops can test pressure and antifreeze and tell if the headgasket is blown.

Again thx for the input..
Oh yeah.. I would love a diesel.. But the truck is paid for and I really can't afford a truck payment right now.
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah a shop can do a leak down test. look for antifeeze leaks coming from underneith the heads. usually when the truck has a blown headgasket you antifreeze mixes with your oil and thus making you oil look like choclate milk.
Old May 1st, 2009, 6:35 PM
CF Active Member

your have gotten some good suggestions:
check build up of stuff between radiator and ac condensor

you said weight of trailer is 7200 lbs, have you had it weighed? It may be 9000 lbs.

bigger tires will cut back on your tow weight capacity.

to tow and stop the load properly, you need about 20% extra tow capacity if you are pulling long distance.

so you are looking at a tow vehicle with tow capacity of around 9600-10000 lbs to pull a 7200 lbs load.

I believe with the larger tires you may just be overloaded.

borrow a regular std size wheel/tire set and try them on the next trip, if no overheat problem then you will have to install a set of lower gears if you want to run larger tires and pull that load.

good luck and be safe,

remember its not want weight you can pull that matters, its what weight you can stop in a reasonable distance when some fool pulls out in front of you.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

On a gasser you will sometimes get a sweet smell out the exaust and a little more condensation out the tail pipe on larger leaks,If you are not loosing coolant I wouldnt worry about a head gasket leak.I dont think you will see lower temps untill you reduce the load on the motor(gears).I also think that if you put a trans temp guage you would be shocked at what temps your running.I understand not wanting another truck payment but if you pull that kind of weight alot you might want to consider a diesel.