Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2001 Seirra 1500 SL draw

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2009, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Seirra 1500 SL draw

Hey guys/gals, new to the forum, got a problem with my 2001 GMC Seirra 1500 SL. The unit was killing the battery after two days of not driving, performed a draw test using a test light, found a minifuse under the hood that stopped the draw when pulled. It was a 15 amp fuse labeled RADIO. When i started the unit up with no fuse the tach, speedo, odometer, fuel gauge, message center and radio do not work. The fuel gauge has been sensing erratically, I was told this is a normal problem as the contacts get gummed up. Also the radio clock had been jumping around when i shut the truck down (not always back to 12:00), so i disconnected the radio completely, still drawing amps when not running, so that should eliminate the radio from being the source of the draw. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to find this draw in that circuit. Im not to well versed in electrical diagnosis, but willing to try it out. Thank you for your time.

Curtis.
Old September 29th, 2009, 4:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Do a thread search here in the Silverado section. This is a common problem, and you have to have the PCM reprogrammed to eliminate it.

I'm unsure of the recall-warranty status in this case.
Old September 29th, 2009, 7:00 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can not properly test for a draw with a test light. Almost every car will light the test light. You need to use a DVOM set on amperage. Disconnect the negative cable, connect 1 lead to the battery and the other to the battery cable. You need to be around 25 ma give or take a little. You must wait until all the modules time out for the correct reading, usually with in a min.