Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2001 silverado 4.8 died

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2008, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 silverado 4.8 died

Can anyone please help me. 2 months ago i was driving and my truck just died.It would not start after several attemps.I let it sit for 2 weeks and it would start and idle,but run ruff if you tried to give it gas.I just brought it back home on flatbed.Sometimes it will startand sometimes it wont and when it does, same thing, it runs ruff when you give it gas and then will die. Any help? Would be greatly appreciated
Old September 24th, 2008, 9:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2001 silverado 4.8 died

First step is to check fuel pressure,check static pressure,check how long does it hold,if it doesn't hold at all,its time to replace new fuel pump.check fuel volume as well. check fuel pump relay loose pins,corroded

second check your air filter is not restricted,check throttle body is not cloged with excessive carbon if it is dirty clean it.check throttle blade not binding,check IAC Valve.

third check all spark pugs wires boots are connected properly,not out of spark plugs due to that its missing badly and running rough.
remove plugs,check/adjust air gap or replace.check high tension cord wires for nick,cuts.

check above steps first,if everything is good, check spark condition could be very weak,or bad CKP sensor,PCM ground,bad driver circuit of injector (within ECM/PCM it is )

Let us know this steps helps you or not,and what was actually wrong.
Old September 25th, 2008, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

So far i checked to see if the fuel pump works, and it does. Im not sure if it has the right pressure, but i chenged the fuel filter and the truck started right up. It ran smoothe for about a minute the started running rough again then died. I sprayed 2+2 in the air intake and it also will start fine then when that runs out it dies again.
Old September 26th, 2008, 5:20 AM
CF Junior Member

It looks like fuel pump is not building enough pressure or pressure regulator is bad,fuel pump strainer is clogged.

Did you checked your exhaust system is not restricted?
Old September 28th, 2008, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Where is the fuel pump relay on this truck? Is the fuel pressure supposed to be 90 psi?
Old September 29th, 2008, 7:56 AM
CF Junior Member

The fuel pump relay is located in underhood fuse box.As per the specification fuel pressure should show 55-62 PSI.If it is showing 90 psi to you,replace the Fuel sender assembly. Excessive pressure may damage the fuel system.
Old October 1st, 2008, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

I went to test the fuel pressure and realized that when u turn the key on the fuel pump spits out gas for one to two seconds then stops. Is this normal if the truck is not running.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 4:33 AM
CF Junior Member

Yes this is what they made it to operate.

When the ignition is turned ON, the powertrain control module (PCM) will turn ON the in-tank fuel pump. The in-tank fuel pump will remain ON as long as the engine is cranking or running and the PCM is receiving reference pulses. If there are no reference pulses, the PCM will turn the in-tank fuel pump OFF 2seconds after the ignition is turned ON, or 2seconds after the engine stops running.
Old October 20th, 2008, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

If i hook up a fuel pressure guage and keep cranking the motor will i be able to test the fuel pressure.
Old October 20th, 2008, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Also would the truck run at all if the ignition was bad. When i start it with starting fluid it runs great, till the fluid is gone

Quick Reply: 2001 silverado 4.8 died