Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2004 cheby silverado 1/2t 4x4

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2015, 12:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2004 cheby silverado 1/2t 4x4 Dash Cluster help

the problem i am having is that the tach and speedometer will stop working while i am driving it. it happen early this year during the summer time when i left it idle for a extended amount of time, like 45 to an hr cause my gf hit a deer with her car..

but when it happen that time i end up just pulling over and turn the truck off for a few minutes then restarted the truck and both started to work again. very odd but i never knew what caused it and still dont.

this dash does have a few problems something that bocker chevrolet in freeport illinios wont even fix unless i pay for it, which i dont think i chould cause they never did before i bought it from them. beside they never detailed it before i got, i had to clean it up my self.

this truck has been nothing but a nightmare and a gas hog to boot. with alot of electronic problems to only getting 10mpg nio matter how/where i drive. or more like the lack of driving i do, i average like 5k miles per yr..

but is the dash covered for somethikng like this from chevy? bad enough i cant even do a full tune on it since the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump.. gawd who ever thought that was a good idea needs a 20lbs hammer to the head...

Last edited by JPS69OLDS; January 12th, 2015 at 1:31 AM.
Old January 6th, 2015, 4:23 AM
CF Junior Member

uhm 182 view and no one knows or why this desh does this? i havent drove my truck yet so i dont even know if the tach and speedometer are working or not. but i did forget to mention that for the 1st time since i test drove this truck and owned it, i got to see what the gear selector looks like. i do mean the 1st time i saw what gear i was in and it was nice but not knowing how fast i was going suck but glad i just kept up with traffic
Old January 9th, 2015, 2:14 AM
CF Junior Member

232 views ??

well started it today and went to the doc and my tach and speedo are working . very weird. wonder if replacing the dash cluster would fix this beside the other problems i am having with the gauges. but it isnt cheap so it will take me a few month to save up since the dealer want $255 for it..
Old January 12th, 2015, 1:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Question

well the speedometer is barley working now but so far the tach is still so i have an idea of how fast i am going. just wondering if and when i get enough cash to buy a new cluster if it will fix these problems?
Old January 12th, 2015, 6:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

[QUOTE=JPS69OLDS;292428
but is the dash covered for somethikng like this from chevy? bad enough i cant even do a full tune on it since the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump.. gawd who ever thought that was a good idea needs a 20lbs hammer to the head...[/QUOTE]

The clusters had a special coverage but you are well past that at this point.

How would changing a fuel filter improve fuel mileage?

Maybe you should do some reading on returnless fuel systems so you will understand why the filter doesn't need to be serviceable.
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
The clusters had a special coverage but you are well past that at this point.

How would changing a fuel filter improve fuel mileage?

Maybe you should do some reading on returnless fuel systems so you will understand why the filter doesn't need to be serviceable.
well im old school and back when changing the fuel filter help with gas mileage beside new spark plugs and wires and if you still have them the rotor and cap.

and yes i found out that i am past the date of having this done by GM. but i didnt buy this new i got it over used it seems. i sure miss my 96 truck a lot more now because of this truck.

in the 13yrs i had the 96 truck i had it didnt even come close to the problems i am having with this 04 truck. beside my 96 had like 70k miles less....

anyways if this dash wasnt done by gm for the recall it shouldnt have a time set to it to run out..
Old January 13th, 2015, 4:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Question base idel ?

i know this is off topic, but what is the base idel in gear for my 04 1/2ton 4x4 with 5.3 ? i have looked threw the owner manual and the chilton book i have and so far i can not find it.

i ask cause my truck seem to idel way low cause the head lights and such will be dime and the volt gauge will drop down to 12/13 volts and if i turn on the rear defrost it really drops and i have replaced the alt and battery twice so far since i got this truck in 2013...

or could the dash cluster be causing this as well ?
Old January 13th, 2015, 8:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS69OLDS

anyways if this dash wasnt done by gm for the recall it shouldnt have a time set to it to run out..
unfortunately warranty doesn't go on forever. The problem must be addressed in under 10years.

do you have drive by wire throttle actuators?
Old January 13th, 2015, 11:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
unfortunately warranty doesn't go on forever. The problem must be addressed in under 10years.

do you have drive by wire throttle actuators?
would be nice if it didnt have a time limit on it since the previous owner didnt bother with it.

and i dont think so? never seen those before i have been out of the auto repair for over 10yrs now since i became disabled.
Old January 18th, 2015, 3:00 AM
CF Junior Member

well speedometer is dead for sure 3 days and it is under 0mph ... and the tach doesnt seem to be reading right either...

Quick Reply: 2004 cheby silverado 1/2t 4x4