Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2004 cheby silverado 1/2t 4x4

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

typically, the stepper motors in the clusters go bad. they are cheap and easy to solder in new ones. $5 per stepper motor.

without seeing the cluster; I can't be sure that is your issue.
Old January 18th, 2015, 1:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by tech2
typically, the stepper motors in the clusters go bad. they are cheap and easy to solder in new ones. $5 per stepper motor.

without seeing the cluster; I can't be sure that is your issue.
do you need pictures of it? since it is just 1 plug type cluster. i have had it out a few times and mostly to get the number off of the back of it for the dealer parts. i may have to do that after i get paid at the end of this month ( hate getting paid once amonth and at the end of it)

cause this cluster has a lot that doeasnt work and it looks like it is getting worst, so replacing 1 of more steppers may not be a good choice i think.

but gm should still stand behind there product anyways but i learn a lesson
Old January 18th, 2015, 6:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JPS69OLDS
they did stand behind it. they extended the warranty for 10years...but not forever.
Old January 18th, 2015, 7:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS69OLDS
do you need pictures of it? since it is just 1 plug type cluster. i have had it out a few times and mostly to get the number off of the back of it for the dealer parts. i may have to do that after i get paid at the end of this month ( hate getting paid once amonth and at the end of it)

cause this cluster has a lot that doeasnt work and it looks like it is getting worst, so replacing 1 of more steppers may not be a good choice i think.

I'm sorry that you are having problems with your truck, but things will break within and outside of warranty. Nothing is perfect, especially something as complicated as a car/truck.

Take it to a dealership or mechanic you trust, and get a quote on the repair. Get it fixed (or don't, if you can't afford it). If you don't want to take it to a shop go to pick-n-pull or equivelent, and try to swap the gauge cluster and see if that fixes it.

Another option if you can't afford the parts and/or repair right now is buy a GPS that tells you your MPH. I have the older (discontinued) 50LM and it's a great unit. Sure, it's not uber fancy but it tells you your speed and directs you where to go if you need it! Make sure you get an LM model because it means you get free lifetime map updates which are usually almost as expensive as the GPS itself.
Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 52LM 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps (US): Electronics Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 52LM 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps (US): Electronics

Last edited by mistaake; January 18th, 2015 at 7:55 PM.
Old January 18th, 2015, 10:35 PM
CF Junior Member

well the cheby dealer i got it from should have stood behind there sale as well but i wish i would have walked away since they didnt treat me well and kept saying they was loosing money on the deal. lol they didnt loose any money they got a older truck with less miles and the only thing it need was the motor rebuilt/replaced and paint & body work then they would have had a brand new truck since in the yr before trading it off i spent 2k if not more since i had the trans rebuilt and replaced the drums and shoes/pads for brakes and new rad and at least it had new tires and not bald like 2/32 of tread left. so yeah i think gm should do something about them since they are the worst i have ever dealt with. and they wouldnt even put new tires on it for me, cause they was loosing money dam i been looking at it for 8 months and they sold my truck with in 2 wks so yeah they never lost jack.
Old January 19th, 2015, 6:51 AM
Super Moderator

All it needed was an engine and paint and body work...are you kidding?
On a Ten plus year old vehicle. It's not at the dealer because they wholesale it or sell it as is just to unload it. They would never get their money out of it if they were to repair it.
Old January 19th, 2015, 9:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Angry

All it needed was an engine and paint and body work...are you kidding?
On a Ten plus year old vehicle. It's not at the dealer because they wholesale it or sell it as is just to unload it. They would never get their money out of it if they were to repair it.
not kiding at all, if i could have gotten a loan to have the motor rebuilt/replaced i would have done that. cause it needed the motor worked on bad, cause after having the trans rebuilt because it was slipping very bad. so after it was rebuilt and i went for a test drive it didnt it again then the trans shop ask if there was any exhaust coming out of the tail pipe, which there wasnt. short story was cat took out the trans and motor cause after fixing the cat it was smoking very badly.

yes they sold it to a used car dealer and they sold it and the people that bought it had the motor blew on them but they got a warranty from that used car dealer . so now they have a basically brand new truck and dont need to worry about anything for some time beside the body work.

i now have a truck that has 70k+ more mileage with everything needing work on it beside i had to buy brand new tires cause the tries that was on it was legally bald cause all 4 tires had less then 2/32 and it has no spare tire on it either, another thing they never replaced to boot.

all of this was because Bocker Chevrolet of freeport illinois screwed me over because they was loosing money rofl

oh and my old truck had the best seats in it, Flexsteel seats after all that time they still felt great and i had it since 2000 and stupidly traded it for a junk 2004. only if i could have gotten a loan i wouldnt even be here asking for help in which i really never gotten any just greifers it seems....
Old January 20th, 2015, 6:23 AM
Super Moderator

am I giving you grief?

if you bought this vehicle certified and it had bald tires and inop cluster at time of sale, you do have recourse. Your issue is with the dealer not gm. if you bought it as is, there is no warranty.

you got some bad info; bad convertors do not damage transmissions or engines (unless you have vvt which you do not). where is your 20lb sledge hammer?

Last edited by tech2; January 20th, 2015 at 6:43 AM.
Old January 20th, 2015, 9:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Angry

you got some bad info; bad convertors do not damage transmissions or engines (unless you have vvt which you do not). where is your 20lb sledge hammer?
i never said convertor i said cat short for catalytic convertor as in exhaust, which can wear out a trans and then motor cause of the lack of exhaust leaving the motor, guess you need to do some reading uh ?

and so far anything i have asked for help all ways seems to come up empty, and only time anyone would post is after i bash there precious gm that is funny... but astill what i ask for help goes unanswered.....
Old January 21st, 2015, 6:43 AM
Super Moderator

i wasn't inferring torque convertor. A clogged CAT will make a engine misfire, not start and lack power but will not damage a trans or engine. Cat took out the trans...geez.

Your misdirected anger should not be at the engineer who put the fuel filter in the tank or cluster manufacturer.
You bought a 10yo truck for probably not much; otherwise you would have fixed you older truck. You must have been ok with the tires when you bought it; or did you not look at them?

be angry at yourself for not getting an independent mechanic to look at your purchase...it would have cost $70.