Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2004 Silverado SERVICE 4WD

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2014, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2004 Silverado SERVICE 4WD

I am having problems with my 2004 Silverado 1500 Z71. Over the passed few months I have been getting the Service 4WD occasionally as it is a push button. On the switch it lights up neutral. Sometimes it would even start and automatically be in 4wd which I did not put it in. I seen where the switch was a common problem so I replaced the switch and it stopped for maybe a week. Now over the past two weeks it seems as if I have it show every time I start my truck now. When it doesn't show up I can switch it into also options and it works good. All of the fluid levels look good. What could this be? I need to fix this soon because in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan we already have about a foot of snow and still snowing but refuse to take it to a dealer and get screwed.
Old November 18th, 2014, 5:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably don't use 4WD a lot, so i would first recommend Running between 4HI and 4LOW Drive it around (offroad preferably if possible) and just switch between the two speeds so that your transfer case gets lubed up. sometimes this works
Old November 20th, 2014, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

I have been but it still continues to give me the service 4wd
Old December 31st, 2014, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2004 Silverado Service 4wd

Mine did the same thing for months and it always worked.. until it got stuck in 4wd HI and then blew the fuse in the main fuse panel under the hood and and it was snowing the beat hell on the high way! The problem I had was with the transfer case motor wasn't responding. So after a trip to the junk yard and 50.00 bucks later it was fixed.

I am sure your switch is fine as you can select between the auto, hi, lo and 2wd.

The actuator in the front end is working as it goes into and out of 4wd.

The transfer case motor is easy to replace.

1. Unhook the battery and then Pull the front drive the line.
2. remove clip on transfer case motor
3. remove the 3 bolts that hold it to the side of the transfer case
4. Put the new one on and plug it in and put everything back together

DO NOT HOOK UP PLUG ON NEW TRANSFER CASE MOTOR AND SELECT ANYTHING WITH OUT BEING ON THE TRANSFER CASE!!!!!

This will take you about an hour, it takes longer to get the clip apart than anything else.

So my truck did this:

Service 4wd light was on and off for quite a while. Fluids are new had it gone through over the summer. Still had service 4wd message. So on Saturday 12/27 I was in 4wd and then I selected 4wd high and everything is fine and then the lights on 4wd switch at some point went out. So I get home and figure it was a fuse. So I pulled the 30 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood. I think it says TRAC. It was blown. I put a new fuse in and I could hear the actuator in the front end engage. But i still replaced it because I thought maybe that was the problem. Because if you tired to get it out of 4wd high it would blow the 30 amp fuse again. Nope that wasn't it. So I did a quick you tube search and found video of replacing the 4wd selector switch and checked it with a volt meter.. it was good. That leaves the transfer case motor or the 4wd ECU. I figured because everything always worked before it was communicating through the ECU. So I went to the junk yard and got a new transfer case motor and hooked it up the plug and hit the auto 4wd button to "test' it. Well that ruined that one, I could not get it to line up on the gear on the side of the transfer case. Back to the junk yard got another one and it's fixed. That's my story. Good Luck!