Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2005 2500hd 6.0 lifter issue

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2012, 11:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 2500hd 6.0 lifter issue

2005 chevy 2500hd 6.0l 2wd ext cab long bed. automatic trans. 180k miles

when i start my truck when the engine is cold i have no oil pressure. but after about 15 sec it goes to about 20 PSI. when the truck gets drove about 10-15 miles the oil pressure is about 30 idle. i have tried 5w-30 up to rotella 15-40. even addititaves like lucas and BG. no matter what weight oil i run, the same thing happens..

another issue is that sometime while driving on the highway, it will sound like a lefter is dead.(tapping like there is no oil in it.) this sounds goes away if i stop beside the road and put the truck in park and allow the engine to idle down. then the noise will go away. during this the oil pressure is about 50 PSI when the noise starts.

any advice or input would be nice.
please ask if any more info is needed
Old October 5th, 2012, 5:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this will be any help, but I do know chevys are famous for having valve ticking and no oil pressure when first starting up. You can look through the forums and just about all the chevys have it. I have a 99 and had to do a motor swap on my truck(ran truck with blown head gasket and pumped coolant in) and put an 04 motor so it only has about 30,000 on it and doesnt do it, but my old motor did it and when I asked about it almost everybody said theirs does it too and have done for 100,000 miles. So on that note start up tick is not a huge deal except just aggravating to hear. The only thing that concerns me is I don't know if you exaggerated or not but 15 seconds seems like a long time.

I'm shooting in the dark here, but here it goes. I have not heard of ticking to keep going after the initial start, so I would want to say maybe the oil pump is not doing its job of circulating the oil at higher rpms and then once idling down has a chance to pick up (just a guess). This totally contradicts you having 50psi because I would think at that pressure you would having oil pumping through there like no tomorrow.

Like I said don't know if this helped at all, but that was some input for you. I hope this provides some help and you get the problem figured out.