Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2005 5.3 light knock/tick

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2009, 1:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 5.3 light knock/tick

I've been noticing a light knock and since I'm covered by a 1 year used certifed bumber to bumber warranty I took it to the dealer.

They told me that one piston has some carbon buildup. They put something the service writer called x44 in the tank and said they think that will clear it up. Either way I'm supposed to come back in 4-8 or earlier if it gets worse. They also said there is no engine damage and compression checked out good.

What is x44? He claimed it was a GM product.

At an idle or sitting at a stop light I can feal the motor running. Light a slight stutter something. I wouldn't call it rough yet, but doesn't seem normal. Could these issues be related.
Old July 25th, 2009, 4:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Never heard of x44...but I'm guessing that its comparable to Sea Foam.....basically a cleaner that you can run through your intake or your gas to help clean things out.

Sounds to me like the dealer is trying to get out of having to do any work in repairs. Where does it sound like the noise it coming from? What part of the motor?
Old July 25th, 2009, 5:06 PM
CF Active Member

It sounds to me like a lifter. I hear it on the drivers side, seems like from the valve cover area. Service writer mentioned pistion slap once, but it doesn't seem that severe yet. I'm no expert though.

I don't know that the dealer is trying to get out of work. They say they are doing what GM wants them to do as a first step. What I worry about is being out of warranty when it really goes bad. Let's say this stuff clears if up, what I worry about also is what actually caused the buildup.

The odd thing is I noticed this just after changing from conventional oil/AC Delco filter to M1 syn oil and filter.
Old July 25th, 2009, 6:12 PM
CF Junior Member

They can't accurately diagnose carbon build up as the problem without tearing down the motor.......and obviously they didn't do that.

I've come across a few GM dealers that like to give people BS service like gas and oil additives to "fix" problems. The issue with this is there isn't any fluid additive that will fix abnormal engine conditions. Some may mask the symptoms for awhile, but not fix it.

Drive your truck around for a bit....but I can promise you that this crap they put in your gas tank isn't going to do anything.

When you take your truck back because its still having the same problem, make sure that they do an accurate diagnostics on it. A repair shop should never do "guess work" when it comes to diagnosing someones vehicle. Let shade tree mechanics do the guess work.

If its coming from right under the valve cover, your rocker arms likely need adjustment.
Old July 25th, 2009, 6:55 PM
CF Active Member

I asked how they diagnosed carbon buildup when they can't see it. He said something about using a scope. Is that a load of crap? I've been thinking about calling the service mgr to get a better clarification of how they came to the diagnosis.

I completely agree on your additive assesment which is why I'm researching the issue on the internet and asking questions in here.
Old July 25th, 2009, 7:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is your oil pressure like? I would do my own compression check to see what shape the engines in before your warranty is up! How many miles do you have?
Old July 25th, 2009, 7:10 PM
CF Junior Member

I've never heard of anyone using any kind of scope to look at a piston, nor have I seen something that you could do that with....
Old July 25th, 2009, 7:16 PM
CF Active Member

Truck has 43k.

Oil pressure after warmed up...
Idle - lowest I've seen is 30
Highway cruising - 45ish
If I punch it I'll see mid 50's.
Old July 25th, 2009, 7:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so oil pressure is normal. Do you have a compression tester?
Old July 25th, 2009, 7:36 PM
CF Active Member

No, I don't have a compression tester. Are we talking expensive?

Quick Reply: 2005 5.3 light knock/tick