Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2006 rear end stripped out no warning!!!

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2009, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 rear end stripped out no warning!!!

Hey everyone well heres the deal... I drive a 2006 single cab short bed chevy silverado its got the vortec 5.3L motor. saturday as i was driving home i got on the gas under normal acceleration and the rear end immediately went out. i dont know exactly what the rear end size is but i know a few things which is that i bought the truck brand new so it has had no abuse and that it only has 52 thousand miles on it. when i put the truck in drive it makes a LOUD grinding noise and will not budge but the speedometer will go up as if im moving. when i put it in reverse the truck kicks in and will move. well the few questions i have is that a shop told me they would re build my rear end for 350 on any set up i wanted. so im wondering if i put a rear end for acceleration on it how much would my gas milage change and how much extra get up and go would it give my truck? and second question is i heard the truck automatically comes with a 100,000 mile drive terrain warranty is this true?
Old January 4th, 2009, 8:28 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 2006 rear end stripped out no warning!!!

man, where do you live? lowest i can get around here for a transfercase rebuild is 800...

if you look at your codes in your dash, it will tell you what you got as far as gears.

http://www.c2e.info/rpocodes/gmrpocodesGthroughM.html

your rearend will be the g code. ex. i have gu6, which is 3.42. anyways. i would call the dealership and see if you are still covered. not sure of the exact specifications of their warranty, somone on here might however. but i would just leave your gears stock. if you arent 4-wheeling, or adding bigger tires, or more horse, than leave em stock ratio.
Old January 4th, 2009, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

My truck is 2WD so im not replacing a transfer case. ill have to check the code out sometime. i think its the rear differential that im re placing for 350. but no im not doing any big time horse power upgrades its got a cold air intake, flow master exhaust, and a stage 1 chip on it and thats about all im going to do i think.. and i am running bigger than the factory tires. im running 275/55/r20 on my tires. and the rearend was also locked would that have anything to do with it going out so soon? the locker only kicked in when it was under pressure and would release when the pressure was let off but it would still sometimes drag when i would go around a corner.
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:08 PM
CF Junior Member

You may have a problem with GM's drivetrain warranty due to the modifications you made, especially the stage one chip. No manufacturer will honor any warranty when the computer programming has been changed. I don't know about the other mods you had done.