Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007-2008 Nav Radio Myths

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2009, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2007-2008 Nav Radio Myths

All is being said about installing a Nav system into a non Bose/Luxman truck (RPO UQA). The reality is that the Nav radio head does not need the RPO UQA or any additional amplifier system. RPO UQA justs adds an amp and subwoffer system to the vehicle for surround sound. The Nav head (I believe is RPO U3U) is built to work with the UQA option AND two other level radio uplevel options RPO UQ3 and RPO UQ5. The only difference is that the RADIO has to be programmed as one of these options as well as the BCM. If then radio is programmed (as most) for the UQA option, the output is only from the pre-amp and is not meant to drive the speakers without an amp. If the radio is programmed with UQ3 or UQ5, it will use its own amplifier and output enough sound to blow you out of the Cab! What is needed to program the radio is surley available from GM. I have seen 2008's with the Nav head w/o Bose. It is also shown in the factory sewrvice manuals with the DTC diagnostics and fix, along with the wiring diagram. So if you have RPO UQ3 (Ext Cab) or RPO UQ5 (Crew Cab) uplevel radios, you can install the Nav head, but still need the programming performed by a extremely savvy tech. If you want the fact, go to your dealer and ask to see the service manual. It is in Book 1 of the 4 Book set. Uplevel radios are the AM/FM/RDS/XM/SingleCD radios.
Old June 25th, 2009, 8:08 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You are completely wrong in your statement.

You CANNOT program a NAV radio (RPO U3U\UVB) to work with speaker package UQ3 or UQ5. GM does not support this, and does not even offer the option to do this. And there is absolutely no way to program a radio aside from using TIW2WEB, which is a programming interface created by GM.

Regardless of what you were told, or what you read in some old manual, you MUST have RPO UQA to install a NAV radio.
I don't care how "savvy" the tech is, there is physically no option within the TIS2WEB process that asks you for UQ3 or UQ5. The only speaker package it asks you for is if it has UQA with Y91\STZ, or UQA without Y91\STZ.
Old June 25th, 2009, 9:44 PM
CF Active Member

Shawn VW is correct. There is no way to program a GM NAV radio to drive speakers directly without a amp. Amp is needed, either LUX amp or non LUX (Could also use any aftermarket in non lux mode).
Old September 12th, 2020, 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Your navigation options for 2007 and above ALL GM Vehicles.

Hi all,

Shawn VW use to be correct. If you try to program an old standard Navigation radio it any GM vehicle without Bose, for the weirdest reason, it would refuse to program and the programming software would not recognize the operating system of the radio and state there are components missing and refuse to program it. Even if you use a basic Vehicle's VIN to attempt to program the radio, it still would refuse. If you used the programming for Bose in a non-bose vehicle, the radio would unlock, but you couldn't hear it even though the audio option is there. *eye roll.* This was all the case until 2013 and the oncoming of MyLink. All MyLink AIO radios from 2013 to 2017 Traverse, Enclave, and Acadia are backwards compatible with nearly every GM vehicle from 2007 and up, and this includes the navigation radios. They must be programmed with a Traverse (Chevrolet Firmware), Enclave (Buick Firmware), or Acadia (GMC Firmware) VIN in order to program, but, otherwise, will unlock and record the vehicle's VIN of the vehicle it is in. In your case, since non-amplified, you can use a VIN like:

1GNKRGKD5FJ123374 is a VIN of a 2015 Traverse LT with a MyLink radio and the internal amplifiers on audio configuration using the UI6 RPO profile.

And you're set.... Just remember that for all Navigation radios, you need the VSS harness, and the OnStar Microphone bridge Voice harness.

Here's a link to both: https://www.ebay.com/i/303140281579?...BoClpgQAvD_BwE

Hope this helps some.

Starflare5.

Old January 22nd, 2023, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Starflare5,
I know this is an old thread, I have a 2016 Mylink non-NAV from an Enclave, I want to unlock and put in my 2009 Acadia w/Bose. Are you saying it’ll automatically recognize the Bose? Is this done through SPS with an MDI2? The reason I ask is I swapped my base radio with an unlocked 2010 off the shelf Enclave NAV radio and everything works except I have extremely loud chimes and turn signals. I gather it needs to be told I have UQA setup. Can this be done through EEPROM programming? That I can do. It still shows Hybrid on the main menu, so I know it’s off the shelf new. Thanks for any help.
Jay