Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 5:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

2007 Silverado 1500 LS - Some problems I'm having

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2007, 7:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Silverado 1500 LS - Some problems I'm having

Hi guys/gals,

I just bought a black 2007 Silverado 1500 (LS ext cab with the 4.3 V6 Vortec engine) about 3 weeks ago, and had some issues with it that I would like some feedback on.

First of all, I'm happy with my new truck! But here's a list of some minor and/or major annoyances:

- I'm experiencing quite a noticable whistling noise when driving on the highway, and I'm pretty sure it is the side mirrors that cause it. They are the rough textured plastic, not the ones that are half painted.

- The AC unit inside had two buttons; one to involve outside air, and the other to shut out outside air. When I run my AC and push the 'outside air shut-off' button, smoke or exhaust still gets into the cabin just as strong as when I involve outside air. Seems like the valve in there is not working properly, or something.

- Especiallyin the morning, after I start my truck, I can hear a slight metallic squeeking sound as the motor runs. I think it is one of the rotors that guide the big belt at the front of the engine. One of them is for guiding or tensing the belt only (I think) and I think that may be the one causing the sound.

- I had noticed several times that the two electric fans at the radiator don't come on when I'm idling without the AC on. At first I thought it may just not be hot enough to have them come on, but I did notice they came on when I ran the AC unit. Yesterday I put it to the test as I was depositing a check at the bank drive-thru, and the fans did NOT come on while idling without AC. The temp rose from the regular 210 degrees up to 220, 230, etc., and the fans never came on. So I put the AC on and it went down to 210 again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Patrick
Old September 26th, 2007, 7:41 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 2007 Silverado 1500 LS - Some problems I'm having

-Ive got an 07 nbs WT regular cab with a 5.3, same mirrors, non painted, no whistling noise with windows up or down at 70+mph

-I always have my a/c on circulate, and the only time i smelled outside air was this morning actually, smelled like onions and garlic? not really exhaust

- I havent noticed anything on the engine noise or my radiator, mine never goes above 210, then again i always have the a/c on, its always about 90 here
Old September 26th, 2007, 4:05 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, regarding the AC thing, what I meant with "smoke and exhaust" is from other cars, or people burning stuff alongside the road. Not from my own truck. So what I mean is that there does not seem to be a way to shut out outside air. My wife has a 99 Kia that can do that, so I figure a 2007 Silverado should be able to do that as well.

Also, a 2007 car should not be overheating when the AC is not on, right? Kia has that one down as well.

Maybe I should have bought a Kia?

:-)
Old September 26th, 2007, 5:23 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear that new Kia 1/2 ton truck is a real doozy!
Old September 27th, 2007, 6:47 AM
CF Beginner

I prefer the 3/4 ton Kia though.. but I know what you're saying.

Anyway, whistling when driving highway, engine overheating when idling, can't shut off outside air... what is up GM?

I think the fans/overheating thing is probably fuse related. The whistling noise seems to be coming from something outside the truck, like mirrors, or even that little antenna thing on the top of the cab, or something like that.

When license plates come in I will take it to the dealer and let them take a look at it all.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

i have a 2007 1500 for the whistling sound ,while im driving ,i hear some noise, but mine is coming from my window guards ,they are thein channel, do you have the guards on your truck , if so i would have to say thats the problem
Old March 3rd, 2008, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

I too am experiencing a slight to loud whistling noise from the belt area under the hood. It's doesn't always happen and I tried pinpointing by turning ac, heater and unit off. Everytime I take it to the dealer it doesn't make the noise! After the second time, they just replaced the belts but it's still doing it.

On the outside whistling noise, I had a boot that was broken on my 4wd mechanism or something. Not sure if you have a 4wd. That was cleared up first few days I owned it.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 9:56 PM
CF Junior Member

did you put on a bug deflector, ive heard that some people are experiencing whistling sounds when these are on. otherwise i dont know what to tell ya. as for the belt noise, its a truck and my 07 has a slight squeek in the front belt as well, but i am not usually outside listening to the belt, im usually driving the thing so it doesent bother me. plus you have a 100,000 miles to work with so dont worry about it yet. at least thats how i see it.

only problem i am having is chiping paint on the rear fender, but thats because i go to our hunting cabin about 2 times a month and theres 30+ miles of dirt roads i have to drive on. the way i see it, is its a truck, things are gonna break and your not gonna get the best gas mileage so i just deal with the facts.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
CF Junior Member

I have a whistle on a different truck the way I found the source was by using electrical tape on a seam that seperated the plastic and metal part. Noise went away so I place a light layer of clear silicone in the seam noise is gone, if its your winshield making the noise that a charater flaw on all year models and we just had the seal on our 06 replaced last weekend. It didnt sound like a whistle more like a vacuum leak.

I checked www.alldata.com for service bulletins on your yr and make and there is a write up for odors form the A/C 9-01-39-004B MAY 07 A/C - Odors In Hot/Humid Conditions You might check with the dealership on this bulletin.

Also you mention you owned a Kia, if its a sportage be warned there's a major issue with leaking gas tanks. All because of electrolysis corrosion from a flat washer that they used on a drain plug they put on the gas tank. Yea a drain plug on a gas tank. Ours is sitting in the driveway untill I can find a fuel tank, sell it or the NHTSA issues a recall, so if its a sportage beware.

BTW I like chevy truck but for a 07 to have that many TSB already is a indication why our car companies cant beat the imports.
Old March 4th, 2008, 8:02 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you heard of the problems that they're having with the new Toyota Tundra or Nissan Titan? If not go check out some of those forums.

Most of the GMT900 TSB's are pretty ticky tack little things to address minor annoyances.

Quick Reply: 2007 Silverado 1500 LS - Some problems I'm having