Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007 Silverado 1500 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2015, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 2007 Silverado 1500 starting problems

So I have finally reached the end of my rope trying to figure out what is wrong with our truck. I have taken it to two different certified Chevy dealers and both said the truck is fine, trust me the truck is not fine.

My problems started around May/June of 2014. At this point the problem was completely random and would sometimes go a month without a problem. When I would try and start the truck I would hear a clicking noise, very similar to a bad battery clicking but not quite the same and then a loud metal sound. Almost like to pieces of metal scraping each other. Once the truck was going it ran fine, it might not do this again for 5-10 startups, it might do it for 3-4 startups in a row. I tried to find something that might happen each time but nothing, weather didn't matter, temp, morning, night, nothing mattered.

At that point I took it to two chevy dealerships, well their service centers. As a matter of fact I took it to one of them 4 times for the problem over about 5 months and each time they said they couldn't duplicate the sound. Now the warranty has run out.

For the last month the problem has gotten worse, for the record the weather here now is very cold and snowy. First new problem was the automatic started wouldn't work sometimes, and sometimes when it did work the radio would reset itself much like if you disconnected the battery, but this doesn't happen everytime. Then I went to start the truck and nothing happened, she had no electrical things working at all. I had to unlock the truck with the key. I figured I would open the hood and take a look and then the truck just came to life again, just by opening the hood.

I am at my wits end here, I do not know what to do next. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it may be?
The following users liked this post:
blinkerfluid (May 23rd, 2022)
Old February 10th, 2015, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for some bad grammar there, also I have to do the hood opening to get the truck to start probably every other day at this point. Also sometimes the door locks lock/unlock by themselves.