Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2008 1500 elec. problems

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2012, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 1500 elec. problems

I purchased a 2008 1500 crew cab with 60000 miles in January; shortly after purchasing I noticed the gauges all stayed at "0" and gear indicator stayed in "P" while driving down the road. It only did this once, however now I have an issue with the door locks going on and off and at the same time the gauges bounce from left to right, and the radio clock resets to 12:00. I've noticed it mostly happens when I step on the brakes. I've also had the "Service Stabilitrak", "Service Trailer Brake", and ABS lights come on. My dealer can't duplicate the problem, and I was hoping someone may have experienced this problem before. Thank You!
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> winters92,

I'm sorry to hear of the electrical issues you are having with your vehicle. Has there been any aftermarket equipment installed in and/or on the vehicle? This condition may be caused by a wiring issue. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. It can be difficult for the dealer to diagnose the problem if they cannot duplicate it. You may want to have a technician drive with you so you can duplicate the problem for you.

If you provide your VIN number (PM me if you prefer), I can check to see if any additional information is available.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

I changed the battery, as I have been told by others this same problem has happened to them, and a new battery cured the problem. The vehicle acted fine for 9 days, then it started with the gauge, locks, and radio, and the engine actually quit for a second, then re-fired. I also notice the volt meter goes to 16 when I start the engine, and then slowly drops to approx. 12, and this will go back and forth while driving. I am curious if the alternator is failing, and if low voltage can cause these problems. My dealer tells me they haven't heard of this issue, and they can't diagnose anything if it isn't acting up.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

yea im having a similar issue, my 09 1500, i have after market lighten done halos and what not and i just put a new battery in. i start my truck and start driving and it goes from above 14v.. to right between the 9v and 14v mark.. and stays there.. my radio had cut off before.. and i can't blow my train horn.. i never had this problem. it all started bout a week ago
Old June 2nd, 2012, 3:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If the alternator is actually putting 16 + volts at at anytime, that is an electronics problem, they don't like that. If you have a "high tech" VOM, do a high test capture on it. Go through what you do on start. This will actually verify your in cab volt meter. If it is going that high, replaced the alternator as the voltage regulator in it is the culprit.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 7:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Default electrical problem

Winters,

You could have a bad ground problem. I don't know where the ground(s) are for the dash, but this could be causing your gauges to go crackers.

When applying the brakes it could make the ground and then disconnect.

Just another thought.

Good luck,

Old June 2nd, 2012, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Check battery clamps and posts for corrosion, I use the red and green protectors from NAPA or ? Must be clean!!! Check the black cable grounding point and make sure it is clean too. Regulator should hold the voltage output to 13.8-14.2 volts, period!!! As was said, higher voltage will kill the computer or at the very least scramble it's brain. To test, turn on headlights for 5-10 minutes with engine off. Wait 5 minutes. Hook a voltmeter to the battery, have a buddy or ? start the truck. Should go to 14.2 and stay there for a while as it charges the battery. May drop to low end of range after battery is charged. 14.5 should be considered absolute max, anything over that and the regulator is bad.

Also, to repeat what was said, you probably have a bad ground somewhere--loose or corroded.
Old June 17th, 2012, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

yea ima try and check these things guys.. i mean it was never close to 16V srry for the detail.. but it was just above 14V.. although the funny part is that now its fine.. it sits right on 14V or a little more..
Old November 15th, 2022, 7:28 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default helpful hint

Originally Posted by winters92
I purchased a 2008 1500 crew cab with 60000 miles in January; shortly after purchasing I noticed the gauges all stayed at "0" and gear indicator stayed in "P" while driving down the road. It only did this once, however now I have an issue with the door locks going on and off and at the same time the gauges bounce from left to right, and the radio clock resets to 12:00. I've noticed it mostly happens when I step on the brakes. I've also had the "Service Stabilitrak", "Service Trailer Brake", and ABS lights come on. My dealer can't duplicate the problem, and I was hoping someone may have experienced this problem before. Thank You!
Check every ground connection and cable . It appears as if you are experiencing system start up self checks as if the key were being turned off and then on again . Bad / Intermittent ground and power connections do this .Grounds are more susceptible to this because they are often uninsulated braided cables or straps .
This especially important if you live in the “RUST BELT” OR have a Customized / Modified/Lifted vehicle .
Old November 16th, 2022, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Smart charging systems ….

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
If the alternator is actually putting 16 + volts at at anytime, that is an electronics problem, they don't like that. If you have a "high tech" VOM, do a high test capture on it. Go through what you do on start. This will actually verify your in cab volt meter. If it is going that high, replaced the alternator as the voltage regulator in it is the culprit.
Do not work that way replacing an alternator just because is ridiculous and EXPENSIVE .
The first thing to verify is all Ground connections are good and clean and that ground straps have not been deleted by others , Then check all power leads and connections for proper fit and signs of corrosion .