Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2008 5.3 engine tapping

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2015, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 5.3 engine tapping

Alright guys I did some reading around online and am looking for some more info or help. My 2008 Silverado 1500 with 40,000 miles on it had a tapping coming from the engine a few weeks ago. It only lasted for a little bit and went away after what seemed like the motor warmed up. I heard a few times after that day only on start ups but it wasn't happening frequently. Today I started my truck since it has been sitting all weekend and it has been very cold here. Right now it is 3 degrees out without the wind chill. The tapping was back. I let the truck run for the remote start time of 10 minutes. It seemed to tap the whole time. So i did some reading around and it seems like everything is pointing to lifters. The thing is everyone talks about low oil pressure when that occurs which I haven't noticed with my truck when I'm hearing this. I went out a little bit ago and started the truck after it sat for about 10 minutes and there was no tap. I ran a cleaner through the truck two weeks ago which was after I originally heard the noise. The truck is still under warranty so is this something I should take the truck in for immediately or should I give it some time? Heres a pic to make everyone happy. Thanks for the help in advance!
Attached Thumbnails 2008 5.3 engine tapping-image.jpg  
Old February 15th, 2015, 1:26 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2004 with 120,000 miles on its 5.3L V8 also does that during cold weather. I even use Mobil-1 synthetic.

I guess that is why another name for lifters is 'tappets'.
Old February 15th, 2015, 7:10 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Trod450
Alright guys I did some reading around online and am looking for some more info or help. My 2008 Silverado 1500 with 40,000 miles on it had a tapping coming from the engine a few weeks ago. It only lasted for a little bit and went away after what seemed like the motor warmed up. I heard a few times after that day only on start ups but it wasn't happening frequently. Today I started my truck since it has been sitting all weekend and it has been very cold here. Right now it is 3 degrees out without the wind chill. The tapping was back. I let the truck run for the remote start time of 10 minutes. It seemed to tap the whole time. So i did some reading around and it seems like everything is pointing to lifters. The thing is everyone talks about low oil pressure when that occurs which I haven't noticed with my truck when I'm hearing this. I went out a little bit ago and started the truck after it sat for about 10 minutes and there was no tap. I ran a cleaner through the truck two weeks ago which was after I originally heard the noise. The truck is still under warranty so is this something I should take the truck in for immediately or should I give it some time? Heres a pic to make everyone happy. Thanks for the help in advance!
Trod450,

I'm sorry to hear about your engine tapping. I understand how displeasing this would be and realize you're seeking opinions about it. However, if you'd like to consider getting an official GM diagnosis, please message me privately as I can reach out to the dealer's Customer Experience Managers (CEM) for additional assistance. If you'd like to contact us privately, we'd be happy to discuss this with you further.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old February 17th, 2015, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

Have you guys figure anything out on this? Mine does the same thing! '08 5.3L
Old February 17th, 2015, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Fosy82
Have you guys figure anything out on this? Mine does the same thing! '08 5.3L
Took my truck down to the dealer yesterday and explained what I was hearing. Told me they could take a look at it today and see what they could come up with. Fortunately the dealer is only a few minutes from my house and I have a few friends that work there...unfortunately I got the " we started your truck this morning and didn't hear anything so we couldn't begin to diagnose it." So I was told to keep an eye on it and if it continues or gets worse than I need to bring it back in.
Old February 18th, 2015, 5:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Normal
Old March 16th, 2015, 4:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2000 Silverado has been tapping during start up for over 200000 miles. Just about everyone that I know that have a 5.3 say theirs tap also.