Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 1:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

2009 Silverado Transmission Noise

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2013, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Silverado Transmission Noise

I have a 2009 Silverado 1500 4x4. At 43,000 miles it developed a loud whine coming out of the trans area when put in drive or reverse only and accelerating. Dealer replaced the torque convertor and it cured the problem. Truck now has 48,000 miles and again its developing the same high pitched whine to it. Its not audible when put into gear yet, but as soon as I accelerate it starts to whine. Does anyone know if I can swap in a good aftermarket Torque convertor without going through reprogramming issues? The truck sees occasional light towing of 5,000lbs and its always done in 3rd and T/H mode. I see there are some aftermarket convertors for towing and am wondering if this would be a cure but don't want to get into an electronic nightmare.
Old July 19th, 2013, 4:44 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think your noise is a converter issue.

If the whine doesn't start until the truck is moving, I'd be for suspecting the low planetary pinions.

Now, a tiny bit of whine in 1st, 2nd or reverse is normal for a truck with 50K miles.

Allan
Old August 9th, 2013, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Trans is fixed

Well Allan since you were the only reply I will give you the respect of knowing what happened to my truck. I took it in to dealer 2 days ago whining like a stuck hog at any speed up to 45 mph. They replaced the torque convertor again and its quiet and normal. They had no idea why - and didn't know if the convertors from GM are new or remanned. I guess as long as its under warranty I will drive it like I own it and hope for the best.
Old August 9th, 2013, 6:11 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

i would guess the converter's they had replaced it with had been re manned for sure. Typically when replacing a converter there isnt much to it so for it to do it twice in a row something there has not been brand new had to be replaced with re manned product. sorry to hear that hope everything is well now
Old August 9th, 2013, 7:06 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by whlpny
Well Allan since you were the only reply I will give you the respect of knowing what happened to my truck. I took it in to dealer 2 days ago whining like a stuck hog at any speed up to 45 mph. They replaced the torque convertor again and its quiet and normal. They had no idea why - and didn't know if the convertors from GM are new or remanned. I guess as long as its under warranty I will drive it like I own it and hope for the best.
Hi whlpny,

We're happy to hear that your repairs were covered and you didn't have to come out of pocket. If there is ever anything we can assist you with, or if you have concerns about your vehicle in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 27th, 2022, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

2013 Chev. 1500 5.3 4X4 4L80E A/T has fairly new blue trans. Ran great couple thousand miles. always picky about my truck. Left drove one mile ,stopped and pulled ahead 200 feet and like in neutral. Stuck at intersection, and had towed home. not low on fluid. but added 2 quarts of fluid and test incase filter dropped. Drove 4 miles back and forth close to home. Then went into like neutral , nothing. Stopped on side of road. Turned it off and waited 5 minutes. Started up and put in gear and drove a mile back home. Checked fluid again and full. Backed up and forward of driveway and went to neutral, could rev engine but didn't want to do any damage. Sit ten minutes and started up and put in gear and reverse. Did a TCM reset, then remove battery neg. cable and blew horn to drain computer. Reconnected and feels like it will do same problem. LOOKING FOR GENIUS, idle engine and think i can hear a little rattle under engine. No codes old or new. No leaks and like i said clean blue trans. Talked to Chev. trans man this morning and said maybe one or both sensors. ANYBODY INPUT. have built trans and engines most of life. retired and most of my men have passed away i could ask a question. Now just build hotrods. Appreciate any input. Worst thing, just put a new recond. trans in if needed. Nice truck to tow show cars to shows. Thanks Tim sicem1@verizon.net First Time here. TY