Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:41 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2010 5.3L Chevy Silverado Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2010, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default similar leak

I also have a 10 silverado with only 1800 miles and have a similar leak. Mine seems to be coming from the area by the oil return lines that come into a block next to the oil filter( if under the truck looking at the filter to the left of the filter) took it to the dealer and they replaced the seals on the return lines, 30 miles later I look under to see if its clean and ITZ not still drops of oil around that block that the lines go into. Back to the dealer on MON. Thanks for the insite on others with the same problem. Keep the updates posted.
Old October 10th, 2010, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Looks like I'll be going back to the dealer on Monday as well. Mines still leaking in exact same fashion as my previous pics. Interestingly, the dealer said they had to try resealing the oil pan twice, as the first time didn't work and they saw it was still leaking...
Old October 12th, 2010, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fixed??

So it went in on monday, and got the call in the early pm. Replaced the oil cooler lines, so they say itz fixed, we will see. Going to pick it up later this morning. Cross your fingers, 2x is a charm just that much closer to a lemon.
Old October 14th, 2010, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

So dropped the truck off on Monday morn and got it back Tuesday afternoon, they replaced the rear engine cover and put more dye in the oil in case its still leaking after that. I'll give it a week and then crawl back under the truck to see if things are fixed now...
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

I took my 2010 Silverado back in after oil kept appearing on the bottom of the oil pan. It still had the UV dye inside the engine and they were able to trace it back to the rear main seal, which was replaced. Hopefully this will be the end of the seeping oil!
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default oil leaks in silverado

Purchased my 10 silverado in aug. The same leaks you describe began in late Sept. the 1st fix was to replace the seal ( gasket ) on rear engine cover, started leaking again 10 days later, latest fix was to replace oil pan gasket. Just have gotten it back, not leaking yet. Mine also is a 5.3L Alum. block. Had less than 1000 miles when first started leaking.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 1:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default Oil leak

Hey im new to this forum typed 2010 silverado oil leak to see what i could find and this poped up. anyways my 2010 silverado crew cab z71 with 13k has develpoed a oil leak in the exact same place not saying im happy somepne has the same issue but at the same time i am bc hopefully it will get fixed the dealer put dye in the oil and i take it to be dropped off tuesday for reapair....
Old March 23rd, 2011, 7:25 AM
CF Beginner

Mikey, I hope they get you fixed quickly. As mentioned before, mine ended up being the rear main gasket. It was replaced in 1.5 days, they kept it overnight and I've had no issues since! Hopefully you have the same result!
Old March 24th, 2011, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Mine has been leak free as well since they replaced the rear engine cover which I think has the rear main seal on it.
Old March 24th, 2011, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default oil leak

Thanks its really disheartning knowing i paid 30k for a truck and 8months later its leaking oil.

Quick Reply: 2010 5.3L Chevy Silverado Oil Leak