Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2010 Silverado AC vents not working correctly. - Fixed.

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2012, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Silverado AC vents not working correctly. - Fixed.

I have been having an issue with my Silverado the last month or so where it will not charge the battery while running even with a heavy load on the battery. Having the battery run low on me to where I had to jump it this week, I found that after the jump, my AC vents wouldn't switch to the Dash position. Although I could switch them to the floor and defroster with no problem. If I switched them to the Floor+Dash position, the Defroster and floor were blowing air.

After reading about the older models doing this, I found several people talking about calibrating the actuators in the system by removing fuses to the HVAC system in the car. However, this process was a bit different on my newer model truck because the fuses are not labeled the same.

Essentially, the idea behind the older trucks is this.
1. Turn key on and make sure blower is working.
2. Turn off AC/Heat at controls.
3. Turn Key off
4. Remove fuse for HVAC
5. Let truck set for several minutes. (1-5 minutes)
6. Put fuse in HVAC
7. Turn ignition on (Do not crank vehicle or touch controls on AC/heat) system . It will start cycling through the vent positions and a couple minutes later stop making any noises. (Note. Controls will turn on by them selves when you turn the key on. This is expected even though you turned them off before removing the fuse)
8. Turn key off after movement stops. (Wait 2 minutes at least)
9. Turn Key on and crank vehicle. Test Vents for proper output.

If vents are still not working correctly, do the steps again until it does work. It can take 3-4 tries if the motor is badly out of sync.

On my 2010 Silverado, I took a different approach. Same steps as above, but instead removed the plugs from the back of the AC control pod in the dash rather than pulling fuses. It did take 3 tries to get my vents back, but it did work. In my truck there were 3 plugs to remove in order to get the power removed from the AC controls. I did turn the key off before unplugging.

So here are those steps.

1. Turn key on and make sure blower is working.
2. Turn off AC/Heat at controls.
3. Turn Key off
4. Remove dash panel and unscrew 2 screws holding AC pod onto dash.
5. Remove Plugs from AC pod
5. Leave plugs disconnected for 30 seconds at least.
6. Insert plugs back into AC pod
7. Turn ignition on (Do not crank vehicle or touch controls on AC/heat) system . It will start cycling through the vent positions and a couple minutes later stop making any noises. (Note. Controls will turn on by them selves when you turn the key on. This is expected even though you turned them off before removing the fuse)
8. Turn key off after movement stops. (Wait 2 minutes at least)
9. Turn Key on and crank vehicle. Test Vents for proper output.

Again, it may take 3-4 times before this works and completely resyncs the stepper motors.