Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

2011 Silverado Vibration = Rough Ride.

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2012, 11:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whitedimond
Mine is also a 1500. Well went back to dealer yesterday. Called me today to pick up. They said they put in on hoist and ran it; said the left rear tire out of round. Went back to discount and actually watched in spin with my own eyes and guess what - smooth as glass. WHAT A SUPRISE!!! The also rotated again to see if it moved to front - no it did not. I'm going to call a different dealer tomorrow. The vibration is much worse when it is cold then gets better when warmed up - any more ideas?

I think I'm going to have to sue GM for emotional distress
Check your tire material on the sidewall. You probably have nylon cord. They've started using it again on some tires. It took me 15 freeway miles to warm them up and stop vibrating. They were Bridgestones, I now have BFG Long Trail TA Tour with a softer ride, better traction and quieter.

Last edited by mhanlen; December 15th, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old December 14th, 2012, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Ditto

Well folks unfortunately I have joined the Silverado Shake Rattle and Roll Club as well. I purchased a 2012 ext. cab 4x4 several months ago, and have been nothing but disgusted with it. When I test drove this truck I noticed it felt like it had a wheel out of balance. When I returned to the dealer, I told the salesman (who our family has done business with for about 30 years) that it was a nice truck but has a vibration. He explained that it was probably because it had been sitting on the lot for a while and needed driven. We took it back out for a drive and it seemed to pretty much settle down-so I bought it. fficeffice" /><O></O>

The vibration/shake never completely went away. I took it back in to the dealer, they checked the balance on all the wheels and ended up replacing one of them. Again, the vibration was still there. So, back to the dealer again-they replace the other three tires and sent me on my way. Again, vibration still there-so back to the dealer again. The truck was the dealer for a month this time. They put two different sets of wheels on it, checked the drive shafts, put a load in the bed, took the running boards off, and tried new shocks. Everybody that drove it at this dealer acknowledged it shook and rode harshly-even the owner of the dealership. <O></O>

I filed a complaint with the BBB. GM has been in contact with me and did send a Field Service Engineer to look at the truck. He drove it and told the SM that there was nothing wrong with it. The dealership called me to come and get my truck, there is nothing wrong with it. <O></O>

The week before I took it back to the dealer the last time I was driving on the freeway (60-70mph), going through a left hand bend-as I went over a bridge transition the truck shook so bad it caused me to go well into the next lane to the right. Had there been a vehicle next to me, it would have been bad. So not only does this truck drive like s***, it is dangerous too. Great!<O></O>

I am going to fight this out for a while longer-unless I get killed in the damn thing. I have been a Chevy guy my entire life, but at this point the Fords are looking better every day. <O></O>

Good Luck Everybody, be careful driving these trucks. <O></O>
Old December 14th, 2012, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Hello i have a 2009 Lt and it shakes and vibs until the tires get warm..
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Nylon cord tires cause vibrations after sitting until warmed up

Originally Posted by jestexman
Hello i have a 2009 Lt and it shakes and vibs until the tires get warm..
Change all the tires to a no nylon ply like BFG Long Trail TA.
Your tires get flat spots until the warm up. It's normal for nylon tires. The cooler it gets and the longer it sits will determine how many miles you'll have to drive to warm them up and make them round again.
No type of balancing will fix the problem. You can balance a square object but you can't make it roll smooth. Shaving the tires won't work either. It's the type of tire cord.
Ask the dealer to borrow a set of tires (not nylon cord) and wheels off another vehicle and test drive it. Only takes 30 minutes to find out if that's the problem. Try it over nite too! He'll be happy to do it just to find out your problem.

Last edited by mhanlen; December 15th, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old December 17th, 2012, 8:23 AM
CF Beginner

My 2012 Silverado came with the Goodyear Wrangler ST 265/65 R18. They seem to shake worse after they get warmed up. I experimented with the PSI last weekend and found that they do a lot better with about 27 PSI (cold), they come up to around 31 PSI after warming up. Again, better but not good.

The dealership replaced all of the original tires, one of them was so far out of spec it could not be balanced. Of course, they had to put the exact same tires on it that it came with-some Obama "Tire Act" BS ???

I did notice that TireRack.com does not carry these tires any longer, and another site I looked does not as well. ..........Problem??
Old December 17th, 2012, 8:40 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jfg4000
Well folks unfortunately I have joined the Silverado Shake Rattle and Roll Club as well. I purchased a 2012 ext. cab 4x4 several months ago, and have been nothing but disgusted with it. When I test drove this truck I noticed it felt like it had a wheel out of balance. When I returned to the dealer, I told the salesman (who our family has done business with for about 30 years) that it was a nice truck but has a vibration. He explained that it was probably because it had been sitting on the lot for a while and needed driven. We took it back out for a drive and it seemed to pretty much settle down-so I bought it. fficeffice" /><o></o>

The vibration/shake never completely went away. I took it back in to the dealer, they checked the balance on all the wheels and ended up replacing one of them. Again, the vibration was still there. So, back to the dealer again-they replace the other three tires and sent me on my way. Again, vibration still there-so back to the dealer again. The truck was the dealer for a month this time. They put two different sets of wheels on it, checked the drive shafts, put a load in the bed, took the running boards off, and tried new shocks. Everybody that drove it at this dealer acknowledged it shook and rode harshly-even the owner of the dealership. <o></o>

I filed a complaint with the BBB. GM has been in contact with me and did send a Field Service Engineer to look at the truck. He drove it and told the SM that there was nothing wrong with it. The dealership called me to come and get my truck, there is nothing wrong with it. <o></o>

The week before I took it back to the dealer the last time I was driving on the freeway (60-70mph), going through a left hand bend-as I went over a bridge transition the truck shook so bad it caused me to go well into the next lane to the right. Had there been a vehicle next to me, it would have been bad. So not only does this truck drive like s***, it is dangerous too. Great!<o></o>

I am going to fight this out for a while longer-unless I get killed in the damn thing. I have been a Chevy guy my entire life, but at this point the Fords are looking better every day. <o></o>

Good Luck Everybody, be careful driving these trucks. <o></o>

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jfg4000,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your truck. Have you contacted Chevrolet Customer Service regarding this issue? If not, I would like to look into this further for you. Would you please PM me your information so I may proceed?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 17th, 2012, 4:43 PM
CF Junior Member

IT IS NOT A TIRE ISSUE . IT IS NOT A ISSUE WITH THE RIMS . IT IS NOT THE RUNNING BOARDS . All these trucks are different (1500,2500,3500 ) all have different tire makes on them ,all have different option packages . The only things they have in common is the vibration around 65 mph up , they are all gm , and all of us wished we had the truck we traded in for it .
Old December 18th, 2012, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Well after contacting the BBB I accepted a agreement to allow GM one final attempt to fix truck. Dropped it off yesterday. GM sent a field tech to look at it. I have not herd back so I called and the service writer said they would not even tell him what was going on. If you ask me that says a whole lot. We shall see. If it does not get fixed I will be proceeding with the BBB. I'll keep you all posted.
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Well after having the GM engineers look at it they came back with a shocking reply - the tires. They gave me this line that two of the tires road force for 19 and 22 lbs which is below their 24 lbs which is stated on their own bulletin. So I went back to Discount and they agreed for the last time to put two new tires on it. Again no difference. Even brought it to Bell tire and paid them to check them out - they said all seemed to be ok and that with both of the new tires reading a road force of 20 lbs that that is well within acceptable range and the balancer could not even make adjustments until the reading was above 26 lbs. GM called today and said because there is nothing wrong with the truck they would agree to pay half of my out of pocket expenses for all I've done to try to fix problem. I said no and would proceed if need be to a repurchase or replacement, now I am proceeding with the BBB.
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Z71 vibration (shake, rumble etc)

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
jfg4000,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your truck. Have you contacted Chevrolet Customer Service regarding this issue? If not, I would like to look into this further for you. Would you please PM me your information so I may proceed?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Hi:

My Dad always said - Son, start every letter with something nice.

Dear GM: Thank you for selling me a 2012 Z71. I have the luxury of getting more than I paid for. I had no idea I was getting a personal vibrating device (PVD) at no cost when I purchased my truck.

Although the PVD was free, I continue to have vibration that I believe is in excess of what should be expected. To make sure I'm not getting more vibration than is engineered into the vehicle, I have taken a great number of steps.

I have the eco-boost, so I'm careful to distinguish between it's jiration and that which I refer to as 'vibration'.

Like many I've had the vehicle back to the shop - mine made 10 trips total. The dealership performed the tests (oval, sidewall etc). They found 2 tires not in spec once. One time they found a bent rim. Final attempt was to put 4 tires from the same lot number on the truck - each tested at 19 - 22. Nothing fixed. They informed me that they opened up a report with GM and sent all the test results to them for review. GM Engineer response - everything is within spec.

I asked if the dealer checked the drive line (s) and/or make sure the differencials were perfectly matched. Although the vibration doesn't change from 2WD to 4WD, I was grasping at this point... Yes, sir; we assure you that everything is within spec.

I asked the dealer if they would put a different type of tire/sidewall on the vehicle and test. The response: we drove a vehicle same as yours with a different type of tire and it did the same thing. So, I was left to scratch...my head.

I went as far as to follow the rules of the Lemon Law in the State the vehicle was purchased. Borne from that exercise: I received a call from the General Manager of the dealership. Although a lot of quotable, non-sensical dribble came from his end, the only justification he could provide: well, we've been in business for 30 years and I've only had one vehicle that would qualify under the lemon law.

If anyone ever figures out what the fix is - please post it in big bold letters.

I hate Dodge. I hate Ford. I hate Toyota. Now I hate Chevy/GM. Does VW make a Truck? Surely they can do something with my $35K.

Mild

Quick Reply: 2011 Silverado Vibration = Rough Ride.