Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

2011 Silverado Vibration = Rough Ride.

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2012, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't looked at the frame on my 2011 1500 yet. Is it a boxed frame like the 2500 and 3500 in the video? Likewise, are the 2003 models boxed or no?

The one thing that I would question in my particular situation is that the vibration comes and it goes. I'm no mechanical engineer, so this is a legit question...not a loaded or sarcastic one. That said, wouldn't an issue with a stiff suspension present itself constantly and at any speed rate? Mind rides fine at slower speeds. Over say 50-60mph and the vibration begins.

I would like to try some softer shocks just to see how/if that helps. Unfortunately, my money tree died after my 2nd child was born so my R+D funding is a little short this...well...this half decade and for the next 15~ years as well.
Old October 29th, 2012, 8:35 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Todd Sandberg
I haven't looked at the frame on my 2011 1500 yet. Is it a boxed frame like the 2500 and 3500 in the video? Likewise, are the 2003 models boxed or no?

The one thing that I would question in my particular situation is that the vibration comes and it goes. I'm no mechanical engineer, so this is a legit question...not a loaded or sarcastic one. That said, wouldn't an issue with a stiff suspension present itself constantly and at any speed rate? Mind rides fine at slower speeds. Over say 50-60mph and the vibration begins.

I would like to try some softer shocks just to see how/if that helps. Unfortunately, my money tree died after my 2nd child was born so my R+D funding is a little short this...well...this half decade and for the next 15~ years as well.
From what I can gather,all the new 2007 up trucks have the fully boxed Frame.
My 2000 is "C" channeled up to where the front subframe is welded on.

Now having a stiff frame IS a good thing,but the oscillations accompanying this were not address properly by GM.

Colorado's were also known to have this vibe problem.I bought one brand new back in 04' Z71 4 door and it had the same issue till the day I sold it in 08'
A load in the bed helped and I changed the rear shocks to some cheap Monroes and that helped also.

My 2000 Silverado Ext.Cab rides butter smooth and bought it new.I can clearly see the frame flex on it when parking in a skewed driveway sometimes.
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

i would like to respond to your question...the frame issues...in your frames do you see alot of holes, some of those are not completely all the way through which collect all kinds of road material sand, winter salt, etc. these holes make a frame very weak, and rust out alot quicker. in our older chevy trucks which have the "C" frames which in my opinion are alot stronger and have very little holes if any. these frames did'nt FLEX like what you are discribing in the new ones. that's why when they wrote "don't drill holes in the frame" it will weaken it!! i believe there is truth to this and gm needs to go back to the full "c" frame from the radiator all the way back with no holes!! i have been a chevy man since i was 17, my race cars my trucks all have been chevy, and all have been wonderful, very dependable, turn key at -40 below zero, but i have to say i have never seen anything so cheap made as these new cars and trucks are now my wifes car is a 2012 cruze, good gas mileage but the body has issues the robot that did it had a hiccup when it was put together!!
Old October 30th, 2012, 2:24 PM
CF Beginner

Location: Physically in Norhtern VA, my heart is in SW Virginia.
Default Isolate the vibration wheels, tires or chassie

Drive at steady speed and when you feel a consistent vibration, hold the speed and throttle steady while lightly touching the brake pedal with your left foot just enough to activate the brake lights without applying brake. This will also deactivate your lock up torque converter. If the vibration goes away you are feeling a common condition on extended cab 1/2 ton pickups in the locked up direct drive mode you will start to feel the cab shake at low RPM in lock up. Some have been corrected by changing-raising the lock up speed, others additional body mounts.
I would also find a shop with a Road Force Wheel Balancer. This will detect wheel, tire runout as well as sidewall resistance variations.
If the vibration comes in about 37 to 48 mph (varies with brand and model ) after it shifts you may be looking at the first issue mentioned above. Check for TSB's with Chevy.
If tire - wheel related then note the RPM's and vehicle speeds and talk to the tech with the Road Force Balancer. Keep in mind aggressive off road tread patterns or changing to higher load rated tires can react with the softer suspension and shocks of most 1500's.
Old October 30th, 2012, 3:07 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by smueller
I have been following this forum for a while now as my 2011 Silverado ext cab z71 4x4 has the same issue. I had it back to the dealer and they replaced 3 tires (after I forced them to due something)! The truck still vibrates. I mainly use it to run back and forth to some out of state property (about 400 miles round trip). At times it can actually upset my stomach by the time I get to my destination. You can look at the passenger headrest and a drink in the cupholder and just watch them vibrate. It currently has about 10k miles and I am ready to get rid of it. I have been an avid Chevy truck guy since 1990. I looked at and drove a Tundra today, sadly thinking of changing my brand. I read the last entry about the frames and that makes more sense than anything else I have read. It has to be something big or someone would have corrected it.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> smueller,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Silverado. Have you contacted Customer Service and opened a case regarding this issue?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 30th, 2012, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Mine is also a 1500. Well went back to dealer yesterday. Called me today to pick up. They said they put in on hoist and ran it; said the left rear tire out of round. Went back to discount and actually watched in spin with my own eyes and guess what - smooth as glass. WHAT A SUPRISE!!! The also rotated again to see if it moved to front - no it did not. I'm going to call a different dealer tomorrow. The vibration is much worse when it is cold then gets better when warmed up - any more ideas?

I think I'm going to have to sue GM for emotional distress
Old November 2nd, 2012, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Well guys got my award from the arbitrator and I won. I will post results in the next couple of days for you. As well as the arbitrators comments. My POS is going back to Gm
Old November 3rd, 2012, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

What good does it do to open a case with GM, I did and until I submitted a complaint to the BBB I was told there was no one else I could speak with and nothing else I could do. How many people dont know about the Better Business Bureau auto help division, holy crap, a month of fighting with GM customer assistance and not even 24 hrs after online complaint filed, GM is blowing the phone up wanting to be of assistance, they have their chance. Fix it or replace it, this is not a normal operating charistic of any vehicle. The GM dealer, service mgr, and field rep all said on my recorded line gm is not going to work on the vibration any more... All I say is--- we will see about that... Thankfully right now I have a very nice customer assistance rep named Dianne, that seems very concerned and helpful, but if gm is trying to hide a problem they cant fix what can anyone do? I wont go away... And wont stop fighting to get what is only right, gm, I wish you luck, but dont mess with me. After 40 GM vehicles I have owned you better hope you dont loose me as a customer. I plan on buying many more, hope they can still be GM....................

Last edited by VACARELLAB; November 3rd, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old November 13th, 2012, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

new update

I went to a local drive line shop. They said front drive shaft was a little loose and also took a sample of transfer case fluid -- full of brass shavings. Went to dealer and they replaced parts in transfer case. Truck still vibrates. Also brought both drive shafts to the best shop in town. Rear was ok, front was bent and out of balance. No difference in vibration though. Went to a third dealer today and you already know what they said. They could not duplicate problem and that it drove like all silverados. I think tomorrow I'm going to call the BBB, I've had enough.
Old November 14th, 2012, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Filed complaint with BBB today. We will see what happens.

Quick Reply: 2011 Silverado Vibration = Rough Ride.