Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2012 Dash Display

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2012, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Dash Display

Dad purchased a new 2012 and we are trying to figure out the dash display. When he starts it it comes up and says possible ice on road. It only has the one button to change between the odometer, trip, battery voltage, trans temp, oil life, and oil pressure. Since it comes up with this message one would assume there is a temperature setting somewhere, or does it go by trans temp? This is a 2012 Silverado single cab with very few options so it does not have the fancy information center that the book says is on some of them.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks
Old December 28th, 2012, 7:10 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Is it particularly cold outside?
my 07 Tahoe will show the ice warning when the outside temp drops rapidly from the initial start up temp measured from the temp sensors located in the front grill...
Old December 28th, 2012, 8:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Mine has a button with a checkmark on the left hand side that will clear that message. Otherwise it should go away automatically, or if you push that one button that should clear the message. Mine comes on quite often as well, usually anything below 34 or 35 degrees.
Old December 28th, 2012, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Yes it is cold outside. Also it goes away after a few sec. What I am trying to figure out is what is telling it to display that information. Should the display be showing me the outside air temperature and compass direction?
Old December 29th, 2012, 7:20 AM
CF Beginner

I believe it should or 'could' be, showing the OAT and compass bearing, at least the prime bearing like 'N', NE, or SE for example.

Living here in Eastern Ontario, Canada, this time of year whenever I start the truck the display defaults to the warning message, 'Caution Ice May Be Present'. This is a result of the input from the outside air temperature, (OAT),sensor behind the front grill and goes away after a minute or two, coming back to whatever display setting I had last selected prior to shutdown.

My display is the most basic available I believe, the only 'change' I can make its to 'calibrate' the compass.

Jim
Old December 31st, 2012, 10:12 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> JRod6030,

The 'Ice Possible' message displays when ice conditions are possible. This message displays due to the temperature outside, which is determined by a sensor behind the grill of the vehicle.

As others have stated, the message will clear on its own, but if you would like to clear it yourself, press the (check) button.

You can scroll through numerous displays, including temperature, by pressing the trip/fuel button (looks like a road).

If you additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 31st, 2012, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> JRod6030,

The 'Ice Possible' message displays when ice conditions are possible. This message displays due to the temperature outside, which is determined by a sensor behind the grill of the vehicle.

As others have stated, the message will clear on its own, but if you would like to clear it yourself, press the (check) button.

You can scroll through numerous displays, including temperature, by pressing the trip/fuel button (looks like a road).

If you additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Where is the trip/fuel button located at? The only thing I can find to change any of the display is the "old'' single long button to change between the odometer and trip?

Thanks for the help.
Old December 31st, 2012, 2:16 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JRod6030
Where is the trip/fuel button located at? The only thing I can find to change any of the display is the "old'' single long button to change between the odometer and trip?

Thanks for the help.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> JRod6030,

I'm sorry; the temperature is only available on vehicles with the menu buttons located on the steering wheel. Vehicles with the reset stem, without the DIC buttons have the following options: Language, Trip Odometer, Transmission Temperature, Trailer Gain and Output, Speedometer, Battery, Oil Pressure, Compass Zone Setting, Compass Recalibration and Oil Life.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 1st, 2013, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Beg to disagree Louis, my vehicle has the 'old style' long stem reset button, i.e. no steering wheel controls except for 'cruise control', and I have the OAT reading in the digital display. Right under the compass indication.

Jim
Old January 3rd, 2013, 6:19 AM
CF Beginner

yes my 2012 has just the one button stem thingy. just keep pushing it till you get the odometer reading and the OAT is there along with the compass.

Quick Reply: 2012 Dash Display