Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 11th, 2015, 1:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

2012 Silverado Compatible Backup Cameras

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2012, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Silverado Compatible Backup Cameras

I'm new to this forum, but have been a member on other forums for years. I've searched and read through endless threads about backup cameras here and didn't really see what i was looking for, but may have missed it.

I was really excited about the option, until I realized it was in the tailgate and then the service department tells me GM doesn't offer a relocation kit.

Anyways, long story short... I have a slide in camper which means the tailgate is coming off, rendering this option useless if it can't be relocated. I tow a car trailer so needless to say I'm disappointed in GM they don't offer a relocation kit!!!

So without pulling the camera from my tailgate, is there a specific aftermarket camera that will connect to the pigtail once the tailgate is removed?

Thanks
Roger
Old April 5th, 2012, 6:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you had a Ford the answer would be yes but as it is a Chevy then the answer is no. I have the same situation and to get the connectors at the truck end I would need to buy the entire wiring harness which is 17' of cable that sells for $290 or I could buy the rear harness with the camera (not sold individually) for $390. Bottom line is that Chevrolet does not want to make it affordable to buy the harness and hook up your own camera.

I am going to tie into the rear harness with a second remote camera that will mount to the license plate and disable the one in the tailgate. There are license plate mounting cameras that sell from anywhere from $20 to $140 and the bottom end ones are adequate but may not be as weatherproof as the ones in the $50 and up price range.

Two ways to go, either wired or wireless. Even with wireless the camera needs to be tied into the truck wiring for power but with wireless it does not need a set of cables run to the dash area. Wireless are available for use with remote monitors or for use with some GPS models. Entire wireless setup with monitor and camera can be bought for under $60. Wireless are subject to radio interference though there are $4 noise filters you can buy and hook up in line.

Wired kits can include a monitor for the dash or one to mount on a pedestal or a replacement rear view mirror. Most are priced well under $200.

The rear cameras vary in sensitivity, some have night vision of a sort, and some have sun shades (big improvement over the GM tailgate camera) and the quality of the display, with some providing wider angles of view but at the expense of loss of perception of depth - i.e. how close something really is to the back of the truck.

Boyo is one company that makes excellent rear cameras and there are lots of local stereo shops around the country to do the installation for you.
Old April 9th, 2012, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by elkhornsun
If you had a Ford the answer would be yes but as it is a Chevy then the answer is no.
Thanks for the response!

Not the answer I was hoping for, but confirms why I've been unable to find a direct aftermarket replacement with a matching pigtail.

Since I have no plans of putting the tailgate back on any time soon, I think I may just try and pull the camera and wiring from the tailgate, and make up my own mounting bracket using the bezel from the tailgate handle.

If that works out, I may just buy a replacement bezel without the camera to put back in the tailgate.

Thanks again...

Roger
Old April 10th, 2012, 1:50 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are good rear cameras that attach above the license plate for less than $17 and great ones (better than the OEM Panasonic one with the truck) for $80-$110 and you can hook them into the power for the rear backup lights and feed the signal to the monitor in the cab. The only tricky part is that they come with very light gauge wires.
Old April 10th, 2012, 7:22 AM
CF Beginner

The Camaro for 2012 has a rear camera in the license plate ... you may be able to convert it/use it.
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Ken Hill
The Camaro for 2012 has a rear camera in the license plate ... you may be able to convert it/use it.
Good news is I found a company that offered to custom fab me one with the correct camera and wiring pigtail for $249.00.

I'll have to check with the dealer and see if the camaro camera is an option and what it would cost!

Thanks for the input!

Roger
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by elkhornsun
There are good rear cameras that attach above the license plate for less than $17 and great ones (better than the OEM Panasonic one with the truck) for $80-$110 and you can hook them into the power for the rear backup lights and feed the signal to the monitor in the cab. The only tricky part is that they come with very light gauge wires.

Considering all the GM vehicles with b/u cameras, it just don't make sense after you spend the money for the option, you have to install an aftermarket one when the need arises to relocate the camera for legitimate reasons like with my truck camper!

Roger
Old June 1st, 2015, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

I'm a little late to the party, but the relocation kit is made by aftermarket. Husky liners I believe. They are $94 at etrailer.com
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:18 PM
CF Active Member

Ok to add to this. Is there a factory option to get that would allow a second back up camera (like the dodge's have) that is mounted on the third brake lamp to assist with a fifth wheel hook up?