Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 1:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

2012 Silverado - Radio High pitch constant ring

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2013 | 8:10 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Did you get your radio and if so did it fix the problem? Love to know-Still having the same problem
Old April 20th, 2013 | 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default my ears are still ringing

I purchased a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 sle from Allen Cadillac GMC in Laguna Niguel, CA on April 17, 2013.

Over the past several days have noticed the 'computer monitor ' like high pitch squeel that comes from the dash. I have the ringing in my ears right now. I drove the truck home last night. The ringing was so bad (in my ears ) that i thought i wouldn't be able to go to sleep. This morning when i woke up, it was there. I briefly got anxiety, and got highly concerned. I'm not the mentally strongest anyway.

I did the search, and found this Thread. Praise the LORD that it's only the radio. Cause otherwise, i do love the truck. I sent an email to GMC. I contacted GM Customer Assistance, and she left a voicemail to my dealers sevice dept, i got an Open Case number, and she's going to call me back monday and then do a conference call with the Service Dept of my dealership. I contacted Walt at ADC Mobile and filled out a Product Request at their Website.

Transonic (custom car audio )says they'll put in an Alpine unit for about $650, that's just the cost of the unit. He wouldn't tell me on the phone how much, i gotta go in, and he'll do up a deal. sounds expensive.

I wrote an email to the Finance manager and the Service Dept manager at Allan GMC as well.

i don't know how it's gonna go. But i'll let ya all know. Going to the garage now to pull that fuse....

Mike TM Chino, CA
Old April 20th, 2013 | 6:57 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by mikectm2
I purchased a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 sle from Allen Cadillac GMC in Laguna Niguel, CA on April 17, 2013.

Over the past several days have noticed the 'computer monitor ' like high pitch squeel that comes from the dash. I have the ringing in my ears right now. I drove the truck home last night. The ringing was so bad (in my ears ) that i thought i wouldn't be able to go to sleep. This morning when i woke up, it was there. I briefly got anxiety, and got highly concerned. I'm not the mentally strongest anyway.

I did the search, and found this Thread. Praise the LORD that it's only the radio. Cause otherwise, i do love the truck. I sent an email to GMC. I contacted GM Customer Assistance, and she left a voicemail to my dealers sevice dept, i got an Open Case number, and she's going to call me back monday and then do a conference call with the Service Dept of my dealership. I contacted Walt at ADC Mobile and filled out a Product Request at their Website.

Transonic (custom car audio )says they'll put in an Alpine unit for about $650, that's just the cost of the unit. He wouldn't tell me on the phone how much, i gotta go in, and he'll do up a deal. sounds expensive.

I wrote an email to the Finance manager and the Service Dept manager at Allan GMC as well.

i don't know how it's gonna go. But i'll let ya all know. Going to the garage now to pull that fuse....

Mike TM Chino, CA
Mike,

I am sorry you had to experience that with your radio. I am happy to hear you were able to make it into the dealership. If you need any other assistance with your case please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old April 21st, 2013 | 2:56 AM
CF Beginner

I can't help but to think about how many other people are getting ringing in their ears, and don't know why.

A neighbor in my aunt's neighborhood, got a new rig ('12 or '13 silverado ) a few months back. just recently he had windows replaced on a house that should never need it yet. He's like my age mid 30s. my aunt said maybe to keep out the road noise, he's kinda by the main road. He prolly has ringing in his ears, thinks it's caused from the road noise by his house, spent who knows how much now on new windows. i'm gonna look at his rig and see if he has a stock radio/deck, and if so, i'm gonna tell him what's up. I don't think he'd ever be the type to take notice of any high pitched 'computer monitor' like sound ( or old time tube televisions or flourecent lighting as it's also been described ).

I'm still hearing the ringing right now. but i am sensitive.

I can't believe that Every Single new silverado or sierra i see around, that has a stock deck (radio ) makes this sound. There's got to be thosands of people with Tinnitus who don't know why.

That reminds me, looked at all the fuses in the fuse box today. couldn't determine which one needs to be pulled. no one has asked/or said in this Thread yet which one it was. I looked at the list inside the fuse box cover and couldn't figure it out.

Besides this sound, i gotta say the truck is great. Big soft seat, big cab. i love it. feels great to drive.

Well doing a little editing/updating here. The service dept manager at Allen got familar with PIT5166C. I'll be taking it down there tomorrow. will get a loaner in the meantime.

I hope this does it. will have to get an Alpine ive w530 for $550 with pac-audio.com C2R-GM29 module for $120 (not steering wheel controls module ) otherwise.

The OGM 1 is a little over $1,000

Regarding the radio fuse. It's the fuse box under the hood. In just about the middle of this fuse tray, there are three 15amp Blue Fuses right in a row. Pull the middle one.

LAST UPDATE The sound is Gone ! GM# PIT5166C did it! Needless to say, I totally/absolutely recommend that any affected vehicle get this done! i dropped off the truck yesterday in the morning, and got it today around Noon, so just one day. and was given a loaner.

Last edited by mikectm2; April 24th, 2013 at 6:12 PM. Reason: Update
Old July 11th, 2013 | 6:08 PM
New User

I am sorry to tell you that I am still having the same problem,mainly due to the fact that they cannot fix it. I had the original radio replaced and I still have the problem. Been at this since Oct.2012. Very disheartening. And yes I have the tinitis problem too!
Old July 11th, 2013 | 6:19 PM
New User

What exactly did they do to fix the problem?
Old July 11th, 2013 | 6:23 PM
New User

I hear that!
Old July 11th, 2013 | 6:32 PM
New User

At this same problem with Chevy since Oct 2012. You should not sell things that are defective. I pay 488/month and have to wear ear plugs! Now do you think that's right?
Old July 11th, 2013 | 6:43 PM
New User

How about "Chevy Blows"!!!I just want someone to help me get this problem fixed and the company I bought the truck from won't!
Old July 14th, 2013 | 7:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by dangevine
I just want someone to help me get this problem fixed and the company I bought the truck from won't!
I went aftermarket on my own dime. Yeah it was a bummer I had to do this out of my own pocket because GM does not stand behind their products. But it is so much better not having that ringing in the truck, that kept my ears ringing for hours after I got out of the truck.

Quick Reply: 2012 Silverado - Radio High pitch constant ring