Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2500 hd good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2009, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500 hd good or bad idea?

looking at a 02 2500 HD whats the mpg and are they good trucks any problems like rusting out like the 1500 do? Any thing i sould look out for when i test drive it or look at it thanks nick
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03 gets an average of 13 MPG all together with the 6.0, and thats driving it easy. I got it for longevity, for example I have not touched my brakes since it was new( its been over 6 years), simply because everything is basically Heavy Duty. If I were towing/hauling all the time, alot of things would need servicing alot earlier. Basically they last longer if used for a daily driver in my opinion. I believe rust is all about where you live.
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

ok thanks i live in maine
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

If you know any mechanics or any friends that know about vehicles, maybe have them test drive it for you or have it checked by a shop before you buy it if you can. Maybe someone here can chime in on the humidity and rust issues in Maine if any, I am not familiar with the area.
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

though i do not recommend buying those trucks to anyone, but, Mike is right. in HD, everything is bigger, thicker, stronger. some say, trannie is much more reliable than in 1500. powertrain is, basically, running "half force", so ware and tear is little.

then again, you, basically, haul hot air and dump $$ into poor gas mileage. 13 mpg not towing or hauling... just put it to work, see what happens then.

but here's a novel idea for you - how about 1500 HD edition? not easy to come across, yet, better mpg along with souped up everything.
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

I picked the 2500HD personally without any advice, it does cost just as much in gas that equals out to the longer lasting parts or more. I would not trade it for a 1500 simply because it has ***** when you need it. I picked what I wanted, others may have a different opinion.
Old June 7th, 2009, 1:42 AM
CF Active Member

like ive said before, id rather have my 07 2500HD for a towing vehicle by far over my 05 Z71. i just hauled the race car from NE ohio to southern ohio and back with the Z71, a little lack of power from the 3.42 gearing and hot fading brakes on the hilly curvy roads are definately an issue ( not to mention it has garbage egg shaped drums on the rear), BUT it used about 8 gallons less gas than my 2500HD did on the same haul.actually averaged 14.2mpg where the 2500 would average about 10-12.. the HD hauled my car trailer around like it was a toy, the 1500 (z71) you know its there, but it does the job if your patient. the rust thing - they are all the same body, gonna rust depending on where its from and if it was washed out good after being in salt and mud.
they are a damn nice truck but nobody ever likes the MPG unless they dont pay for the gas.
Old June 7th, 2009, 2:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

First off, know you're buying a big truck, with at least a 6.0L engine, financially, this is not for the faint of heart.

That said, my 2500HD, 4X4 CCLB with some modifications gets 18MPG.

E-rated radial high profile tires, 80PSI. 4 wheel disc brakes, stops like a Honda. A 2" Body lift from the factory. BAMF hauling and towing ratings. R-R-R!!!

Look in the dictionary under "solid ride" you'll see a picture of a 2500HD

IMO it depends on what you value more. Do you want a solid, brawny truck that can handle the load? Or is gas economy and political correctness more important? Because Fearless Leader is quickly making the former a thing of the past, so if you want to get in on the 2500HD action, you'd better move fast...

I live in New Jersey, I've had my 04 since new, as yet, no rust problems...

Last edited by therewolf; June 7th, 2009 at 2:07 AM.
Old June 7th, 2009, 2:17 AM
CF Junior Member

HA HA HA these guys are funny!! I love my Chevy's, know matter what anyone says, here is a perfect example, I own my own business, I have a boat, a van and 4 trucks, I have had the entire setup for almost four years, the van has the most miles on it, at 395k STOCK 96' EXPRESS with a 5.7L and between the 4 trucks odometers there is over 1.5 million miles on the four, put together, also all stock and all original... CHEVROLET will never let you down as long as you never let them down!!
Old June 7th, 2009, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

what modifications did you do to get 18 mpg and how much did it cost you

Quick Reply: 2500 hd good or bad idea?