Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

305 tbi timing problems

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2010, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 305 tbi timing problems

Hi,

First off i will explain what happened and then the after effects..

I just bought the truck and the dash oil pressure gauge was not working. The 305 is rebuilt and cammed. Well i bought a after market pod oil pressure gauge and installed it. To install it i had to pull the distributor out. Well after doing it, i put the distributor back in pointing the same directions it was when i removed it.. Well it jumped timing i guess?

So i then tried to put it back in timing. I do not have a timing light so i removed distributor, belt, #1 spark plug and turned engine by hand to get #1 piston to top dead center. Then pointed distributor to #1. Well i started up, but its no where near how it was running, and sucks the fuel down like crazy now.. misfire, and as a lot of hesitation.

I don't have the extra cash to take it to be fixed in a shop, so I'm hoping you guys might know what I might be doing wrong when timing it the old fashion way, and walk me through how to correct this mistakes i might be making on it.

The truck had almost half a tank of fuel when i first removed distributor, and now is on empty after trying to get it in timing. Also a buddy screwed with the idle screw (he said was the screw that control the air ?) that screw is on the tbi injector where the linkage connects.

I hope thats understandable and some one might be able to help out.

Thanks.

P.S: Truck is a 88 c1500
Old June 6th, 2010, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Redone the timing stopping a few from top dead center with #1 piston. The misfire etc is all gone, the only problem now is i lost ton's of power and still have slight hesitation at low range.