Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

350 won't start

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2009, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 won't start

I have a 89 silverado with a 350 that is giving mr troubles and I am out of idea's. I went start it about a month ago and start out ok as I was driving down the road started to run rough,I stop to pick up my daughter then It would start again.I got towed home and figure I had bad gas so I put some gas line antifreeze and left it over night,started up no problems in the morning and took it for a ride all seemed good.I didn't use it again for another couple of weeks went to start it and would start then it would die,now when you turn it over once a while the strated but turn or for 3 or 4 sec then hesitate.I tried putting in a diffrent battery (new) and that didn't help.I waited till it warmed up to try again and this time will turn over but will not fire we tried putting gas down the carb just in case it might be the fuel pump but still no fire.Pull out plug and got ir to arc against the head so there must be spark so I have no idea where to go from here any help or direction to try would be great thanks this is a great site lots of knowledge hope you can help.

Rene
Old March 15th, 2009, 9:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Help us out a little here. HEI ignition? It's carbureted-two or four barrel?

Check for vacuum/air leaks at the intake manifold. Check your choke adjustment, it could be sticking.

Pop the distributor cap and make sure the rotor's ok. Hows the cap? Carbon tracking can put a world of hurt on ya.
Old March 16th, 2009, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

It has a 2 barrel carb with the 2 injectors that pump into each side of the carb,Yes it has a distributer cap.seens to be ok and I do have spark.Sorry for missing the info just fustrated and working nights doesn't help.Thanks for helping.
Old March 16th, 2009, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default timing

check your timing it sounds like it out. i believe that you have to unplug a brown wire out of the your front wire connector box. then take your timing light an hook it up. and adjust the timing as needed. if this does not work let me know.

jeremy
Old March 22nd, 2009, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try changing the coil , some times it will still spark or have a weak spark, but not when it is under pressure of the cylinder during the compression stroke. Also whens the last time you changed the fuel filter? If those dont fix it it may be the ignition module.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Your problem sounds like a badly worn timing chain that has jumped far enough to cause a compression loss. Does the engine spin very rapidly? If so look to the timing chain.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:13 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by kidster
It has a 2 barrel carb with the 2 injectors that pump into each side of the carb,Yes it has a distributer cap.seens to be ok and I do have spark.Sorry for missing the info just fustrated and working nights doesn't help.Thanks for helping.
Sounds like TBI to me. The pickup coil on the distributor might be going out. Had similar problems on my 1991. I just replaced the whole distributor and it was fixed. Timing could have jumped. How many miles you got?