Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

4 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2009, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel drive

just got my 4 whell drive fixed ( rear end gear) might be a dumb question but is it hard to steer in 4 wheel drive not use to having it workin. when i bought the truck 4 wheel didnt work found out front and rear gears wasnt the same dont know why so i got it fixed. also the switch lights will go out but they work so guess i will have to replace that soon also.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 9:43 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. I have no problems steering in 4 WD unless you go into tight turns, then Ujoints bind and make noise and front shakes.
2. it is somewhat noisy in 4WD to drive.

why in the world would you drive in 4WD to start with? put her into Auto4WD and be happy if it's slippery.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 5:19 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

I cannot stand auto 4wd. I like to be in control and not knowing whether I'm in it or not drives me insane. I don't notice any steering difference in my mom's Duramax
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by casshern
just got my 4 whell drive fixed ( rear end gear) might be a dumb question but is it hard to steer in 4 wheel drive not use to having it workin. when i bought the truck 4 wheel didnt work found out front and rear gears wasnt the same dont know why so i got it fixed. also the switch lights will go out but they work so guess i will have to replace that soon also.
I don't know your year (around 92, i think), they started with a system that uses an actuator that uses heat to engage the four wheel drive. when this thermo actuator wears out, or gets cooled off, either by snow or rain, it will disengage until it warms up again, making your indicator light go on and off. They do make a replacement that is servo (gear) driven. This actuator takes a little time and effort, but it was worth it for me in my '93. As for your steering, when 4wd is engaged in any vehicle it's tougher to steer, and turning sharp makes the truck "lurch." Some more than others.