Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

4L60E Leak in Reverse Apply Circuit?

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2015, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 4L60E Leak in Reverse Apply Circuit?

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping someone can help me out. After doing some research on your forum I think I've narrowed down my problem with my truck.

Symptoms:
Intermittent Reverse, when it's working, it works great. No slippage or anything. Then randomly it will stop working and won't move at all. When it's not working, all forward gears work great.

Through research I've found that no reverse can be due to 3 things: worn clutch packs, reverse apply circuit, or broken sunshell. Because I have my 2 and 4 gears working normally, I assume my sunshell is working properly. A worn clutch pack would mean that over time, the slippage becomes worse and worse, instead of randomly working and not working, which makes me believe it's not clutch pack related. So it leaves me with a leak in the Reverse Apply Circuit.

Would others agree that this is my problem? Or is there something else that I could be missing?

If it is my Reverse Apply Circuit, it looks like I can just drop the valve body and do the repair without completely dropping the tranny. What does everyone suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Old June 6th, 2021, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XinnKoda
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping someone can help me out. After doing some research on your forum I think I've narrowed down my problem with my truck.

Symptoms:
Intermittent Reverse, when it's working, it works great. No slippage or anything. Then randomly it will stop working and won't move at all. When it's not working, all forward gears work great.

Through research I've found that no reverse can be due to 3 things: worn clutch packs, reverse apply circuit, or broken sunshell. Because I have my 2 and 4 gears working normally, I assume my sunshell is working properly. A worn clutch pack would mean that over time, the slippage becomes worse and worse, instead of randomly working and not working, which makes me believe it's not clutch pack related. So it leaves me with a leak in the Reverse Apply Circuit.

Would others agree that this is my problem? Or is there something else that I could be missing?

If it is my Reverse Apply Circuit, it looks like I can just drop the valve body and do the repair without completely dropping the tranny. What does everyone suggest?

Thanks in advance!
fix? What ended up being your problem? I have same issue, only not intermittent. Reverse just stopped working with so warning or symptoms