Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

5.3L upgrades

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2006, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3L upgrades

Hello all, new member here. Thought I might pick your minds for some help with my Silverado. I have an 04' Silverado Crewcab 4x4, and I have done some modifications to the engine, all in the name of fuel efficiency. This is what I have so far:

Hypertech Power Programmer III- tuned for 87 oct
Gibson Duel Sport Exhaust
K&N Series 77 FIPK
Granatelli MAF Sensor w/cold air
Airaid POweraid Throttlebody spacer
MSD 8.5 mm wires w/Iridium plugs

I have done all this to squeeze MPG out of the engine, and have also benefitted from the performance enhancements. I am wondering if there is anything else I could do to help the engine be more efficient? I considered doing a throttlebody coolant bypass so that the throttlebody stays cool, and as I live in NC I dont need to heat up the air. I am also considering a set of shorty headers, maybe a set of Doug Thorleys, and ultimatly someday I will install an STS Turbo. While going for MPG I will also be using it to tow the families 4 wheelers for some weekend fun. This is my first truck and I want it to last a long time and be all that it can be, something about Chevys just makes me smile. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Old October 4th, 2006, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 5.3L upgrades

sounds like you have covered everything. I would like to know what type of increases you have noticed in your economy.

Please post them.
Old October 4th, 2006, 11:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 5.3L upgrades

I too would like to know of any increase, it sounds like you are investing a lot of cash. I wonder if you will save any gas money????