Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:40 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

5.3L versus 5.7L V8 "Vortec" Engines

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2019, 6:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raymond Moore
Please help me.i got an old 302 chevy can i make a new version 4.9 crank 5.8 block will that work
Please dont think im a dummy but im wonting to start gathering for a build and 302 were fineand if it would work all this new.tec stuff.now.days
Old November 7th, 2019, 6:27 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Raymond Moore
Please help me.i got an old 302 chevy can i make a new version 4.9 crank 5.8 block will that work
Please dont think im a dummy but im wonting to start gathering for a build and 302 were fineand if it would work all this new.tec stuff.now.days
Old February 4th, 2020, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

I have an 03 z71 with the 5.3 in it. I have only done the oil changes in it (not always on-time or close to on-time, sometimes 15k in between changes) It has 270,000 miles on it now (number 3 finally gave up the ghost). I have had to replace the 4 wheel drive about 60k miles ago and the transmission about 50k miles ago. The lights on the dash have dimmed out and the outside temperature display on the mirror only works in high altitudes. But the truck has been fantastic and I got more than the value out of it!!!
Old October 17th, 2020, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2003 6.0 vortex swap

[QUOTE=therewolf;162370]Hi JK23112,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

You can Wiki all the technical details, basically the new Vortec heads and roller valvetrain give the new generation of engines more stock torque and horsepower in a smaller V8 package.

I have no major complaints about my 6.0L, 97K miles. The new V8s are much easier to do front end repairs on. The waterpump and other components aren't buried under three sets of brackets, for instance.[/QUO. What motors can I swap with 2003 6.0 will a 5.7 or 5.3 fit in it and will the 6.0 CPU work with either motor ? Thank You
Old October 18th, 2020, 3:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

[QUOTE=Dwane Schultz;454661]
Originally Posted by therewolf
What motors can I swap with 2003 6.0 will a 5.7 or 5.3 fit in it and will the 6.0 CPU work with either motor ? Thank You
Hi Dwayne, welcome to the Chevrolet Forums.

AFAIK, the 6.0, 5.7, and 5.3 engine blocks are the same. But I would be VERY hesitant to make any assumptions, about parts mating, like transmissions and 4WDs.
Manufacturers, in general, are VERY proprietary, and, if i werre you, I would be sure the mating surfaces were exact, before proceeding. It might be safer to keep the 5.3 transmission, bell housings, casings, etc, and 4WD components, especially the CPU and CPM, which are spec'ed for the RPMs, torque and horsepower of the smaller engine.

General answer: Probably.
Specific answer: Seek the expertise of somebody who does these swaps, on a regular basis, these days.
Old November 15th, 2020, 1:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy 5.7

I have a 1998 CHEVY z71 5.7 350 VORTEC with 279,000 miles. Original motor. Original teams. Runs like a top every single day.

Originally Posted by JK23112
We all know and love the venerable Chevrolet 'small block' V8 engine that has been under the hood of many different GM cars and trucks - as well as being offered in various displacements from 265 to 400 cubic inches throughout the past five decades.

The best-known and most-beloved has to be the "350" or 5.7-liter version; especially with Chevrolet and GMC trucks. They are powerful, tough, reliable and it is relatively easy to "soup up" or increase their performance.

Now, at least with full-size Silverado & Sierra trucks, the times have changed and GM replaced the 5.7L with the newer 5.3L back in 2001 or so. I own a (purchased used) 2004 Silverado with the 5.3L and have about 84,000 miles on it. It runs strong, doesn't burn oil and has the low-end grunt for which the Chevy small block is famous.

The 5.7L and 5.3L are both OHV engines, two valves per cylinder and use timing chains rather than belts (Yes!). Aside from what appears to be a coil-on-plug (hence, the short wires), are there any other major differences? Are they still made with both two-bolt and four-bolt main blocks? Is it true they now are using aluminum cylinder heads rather than cast iron? Are they similar on the inside of the engine?

Does the 5.3L have the longevity of the venerable 5.7L? I have a friend with an '02 5.3L and he is approaching 150,000 miles with it - and with no engine trouble at all. Sounds like the old 350 to me!!

I take good care of my vehicles and use Mobil-1 synthetic oil; which I change every 3,000 to 3,500 miles whether it needs it or not. I also change the oil filter every time - and intend to do so as long as I have this truck.

Can I realistically expect 250k from my 2004 without an engine or tranny rebuild? I drive about 70 percent highway and 30 percent city and my engine has about 3,200 hours on it so far (again, I bought it used last February with 74,000 miles). I don't drive like an old man, but don't beat on it either.

I have had a "BG" fuel-injection service done, a DexCool radiator flush; as well as a "BG" transmission flush back at 76,000 miles. At 90k, it is going to get a power steering fluid flush done (again - last done at 40k) and the rear differential will be serviced. I am also considering new shock absorbers and a wheel alignment when I get the next set of tires installed. Once I hit 100k, I am going to have the sparkplugs replaced - as recommended by Mr. Goodwrench himself.

Anyone here have more than 150k on the 5.3L engine? Any problems? I have always been a "Ford" guy (hey, I admit it) and still love the Mustang and their Super Duty trucks - although they are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE; but I like my Chebby and plan on keeping it for a long time (since it will soon be paid off).

I appreciate any advice or input! Thank you so much!!

P.S. It is 2wd Silverado LS 1500, although it is shod with 4x4 rims (17-inchers) that a previous owner must have installed.
Old February 4th, 2021, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

My 1994 GMC Sierra 5.7l, V8 350, K-1500 4×4 has almost (a few more thousand miles to go) has 248,××× miles on it. She runs strong. She does leak a lil oil and im buying replacement exhaust for just beyond the muffler today. Besides that shes a rugged truck. Always been a fan of Chevrolet/ GMC. Like with this Truck.. it explains it all. Did i mention i live in Maine..? Withharsh winters You want a gd 4x4, and Shes a Tank.. Drive anywhere.
Old February 26th, 2021, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

We all know and love the venerable Chevrolet 'small block' V8 engine that has been under the hood of many different GM cars and trucks - as well as being offered in various displacements from 265 to 400 cubic inches throughout the past five decades.

The best-known and most-beloved has to be the "350" or 5.7-liter version; especially with Chevrolet and GMC trucks. They are powerful, tough, reliable and it is relatively easy to "soup up" or increase their performance.

Now, at least with full-size Silverado & Sierra trucks, the times have changed and GM replaced the 5.7L with the newer 5.3L back in 2001 or so. I own a (purchased used) 2004 Silverado with the 5.3L and have about 84,000 miles on it. It runs strong, doesn't burn oil and has the low-end grunt for which the Chevy small block is famous.

The 5.7L and 5.3L are both OHV engines, two valves per cylinder and use timing chains rather than belts (Yes!). Aside from what appears to be a coil-on-plug (hence, the short wires), are there any other major differences? Are they still made with both two-bolt and four-bolt main blocks? Is it true they now are using aluminum cylinder heads rather than cast iron? Are they similar on the inside of the engine?

Does the 5.3L have the longevity of the venerable 5.7L? I have a friend with an '02 5.3L and he is approaching 150,000 miles with it - and with no engine trouble at all. Sounds like the old 350 to me!!

I take good care of my vehicles and use Mobil-1 synthetic oil; which I change every 3,000 to 3,500 miles whether it needs it or not. I also change the oil filter every time - and intend to do so as long as I have this truck.

Can I realistically expect 250k from my 2004 without an engine or tranny rebuild? I drive about 70 percent highway and 30 percent city and my engine has about 3,200 hours on it so far (again, I bought it used last February with 74,000 miles). I don't drive like an old man, but don't beat on it either.

I have had a "BG" fuel-injection service done, a DexCool radiator flush; as well as a "BG" transmission flush back at 76,000 miles. At 90k, it is going to get a power steering fluid flush done (again - last done at 40k) and the rear differential will be serviced. I am also considering new shock absorbers and a wheel alignment when I get the next set of tires installed. Once I hit 100k, I am going to have the sparkplugs replaced - as recommended by Mr. Goodwrench himself.

Anyone here have more than 150k on the 5.3L engine? Any problems? I have always been a "Ford" guy (hey, I admit it) and still love the Mustang and their Super Duty trucks - although they are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE; but I like my Chebby and plan on keeping it for a long time (since it will soon be paid off).

I appreciate any advice or input! Thank you so much!!

P.S. It is 2wd Silverado LS 1500, although it is shod with 4x4 rims (17-inchers) that a previous owner must have installed.
I have an 04 tahoe with 270000+ only problem I have ever had was a water pump 5 yrs ago,, alternator month ago, air compressor went bad 2 yrs ago
Old March 15th, 2021, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

So today's 5.3L is the same 327 that was in my grandfather's 1969 Impala? Are you sure about that?

I thought the newer 5.3L was a totally different block than the "old" 283, 305, 307, 327, 350, etc. -- and that the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0L engines have a different type of cylinder head & coil-on-plug distributorless ignition.

Anyway, at least they are still overhead valve engines with timing chains rather than those stupid belts.

I have 84,000+ miles on my 2004 and plan to hang onto it for awhile.
5.3l is not the same as your grandpas’ 327. The gen 1 327 has a 4 inch bore with a 3.25in stroke. The 5.3 vortec is a 3.25 liter has a 3.78 in bore with a 3.62 in stroke. 5.3 LS motors live a long life if taken care of. I know of a 2000 gmc with 5.3 that has over 450k and still going has never been into.