Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

6.0 running hot when towing

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2012, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of those trucks came from the factory with 245's on them. In fact if you put a taller tire on a Duramax it would throw a fault code. I even had a customer have the factory buy his truck back because they couldn't get rid of it. Then the factory figured out that it was because he changed out his tires. It wasn't until later that they allowed the capacity for the dealer to change the tire size with a tech2 in the computer so that the truck would know what size it had on the ground. If you go back to a 245 series tire that would give you a true 4.10 ratio and you will tow a little better. Or you might change out your cooler to a larger size.
Old May 20th, 2012, 7:39 AM
CF Beginner

thanks for all of the replys might be alittle confusion its water temp that gets really high trans get hot but not that bad water temp is what concerns me
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

And have you changed the overflow bottle cap recently?

Also, take a hose, and wash the mud out from between

your radiator fins. Yes, a regular garden hose...
Old May 20th, 2012, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

ok will try that overflow cap really could be that simple thanks again for your help
Old May 21st, 2012, 8:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

George of Jungle just here to help.

Hey, anybody can charge you a fortune...
Old May 28th, 2012, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

today on the way home pulling the trailer truck water temp got hotter then normal while watching the temp guage i see on the display ENGINE COOLANT HOT never saw that before
Old September 7th, 2015, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Default Truck Gets Hot Going up long hills

I also have had the temperature issues going uphill towing my toyhauler. The trailer is heavy, but not overweight for the truck. Would rather not have to upgrade to Duramax (due to extreme price difference). What I'm trying to figure out is where I could get some upgrades that would be reliable and effective. I know ebay has some of these things that are suggested, and often has a low price for them, but if I install them and they grenade I am SOL. Where does everybody go to get their quality upgrade parts? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old August 9th, 2016, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Hey, I have a 2010 GMC Yukon 2500XL. I pull a 25ft. tritoon and if i run over 60mph it starts getting 230-240 and about 225 on the tranny. Any body have any solutions for this? It should pull that no problem.
Attached Images  
Old April 29th, 2019, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

I recently purchase a used, good running 2003 Silverado 1500HD LS Quadrasteer truck. It has a rebuilt transmission in it with a shift kit, 285/70R17 E tires, an aftermarket turbo kit installed and dual electric radiator cooling fans. I was towing a 20ft enclosed trailer with a SxS, estimated weight of 5k lbs. As I was pulling the trailer and began ascending up a hill, the truck gave a message "REDUCE ENGINE POWER" and shut off. I pulled over and allowed the engine to cool for about 10 minutes but it wouldn't start back up so I disconnected the negative battery terminal to reset it and then the truck started up again. As I began to continue up the hill the transmission began getting hot so I pulled over again to allow the system to cool and decided to turn around and head back down the hill. My plan is to delete the aftermarket turbo and dual electric cooling fans, and replace them with aftermarket HD clutch driven fan plus a slim auxiliary cooling fan unit between the clutch fan and radiator. I'll also ensure that the transmission has it's own cooling radiator with fan system along with flush and filter replacement service. I'll report back in a few months after all is said and done.