Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
View Poll Results: carb problem backfire when accelerating
Timing
100.00%
Cam
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

82 chevy Carb Backfiring when accel.

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2011, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 chevy Carb Backfiring when accel.

ok here we go. I just got this 82 chevy sb 350. Guy i got it from said it was stock its rebuilt with 130k on engine. fres rebuilt carb. i just had it adjusted it starts and idles fine. But when i put it in drive idle drops a little and i give it gas it goes no faster then 5mp when i do give it more gas it backfires through the carb. i am told the timeing seemed like it was off before it was even driven. so im doing that tom and ill repost with news. But if it isnt the timing. what are some other issues it could have.
Crossin fingers thats what it is.. XD

any response it appreciated ty.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Check the firing order, and the cap & rotor...
Old March 3rd, 2011, 8:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. firing order
2. timing via distributor advance/retard-82 is electronic but there will be a vacuum hose to control A/R. Hose could be rotted.
3. exhaust restriction
4. cam lobe timing
Old March 6th, 2011, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Took to shop got timed. They richined up said was lean. take off backfires once again and dies when complete stop in Drive. Then it floods.. Wont start.
now i pulled vacs off drained the carb. started it up. yay starts. bogs dies cause floods. So could that be due to float. bought a rebuild. did it myself. and slap it back on. cool. still floods. vac lines i have no idea where they go on this ive tried finding my carb digram but nothing. so many vacs on this year modle its annoying. Any help ill take. could timing be knocked off again as well? and timing lobes etc gotta find someone who can do unless u can tell me a way to do at home.
Old March 6th, 2011, 5:19 PM
CF Veteran

I think the carb is the center of your problem. I dont know carbs though, send a PM to OLD WRENCH he should know carbs for sure.
Old March 31st, 2011, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default idles wont drive.

Alright now run into a new problem.. Newly rebuilt carb. slapped it on.
got it running idles fine. i put it in rev give gas and dies. Though was fuel starvation but its not, richened up and nothing fuel pumps good. fuel filter good and accel pump good. Can rev in park no problem. sprayd carb cleaner around carb no leak there checkd all hoses no holes.. is it possible to have a hose in the wrong place?? and i plugged a hose from canister cause no plugs on carb for it all to small.. would that cause it if other hoses from canister are gettin suction. having a buddy come time with gun and adj air fuel. idle. choke. Any help is appreciated. ty.
Old April 1st, 2011, 9:38 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the vac hoses should be hooked up. Find another trk like yours to look at. (salvage yard,used car lot,wal mart parking lot). I had a ford that came from the factory with the cam timming one tooth off that acted some what like this. When hunting something like this you have to assume that everyone that has touched it before screwed it up.Make sure the heat riser is operating correctly.If I remember right this has a vac advance on the dist? If it does I have seen them rupture and when you moved the throttle plate past the vac port in the carb it became a huge vac leak. Just a few ideas. Good hunting.
Old April 1st, 2011, 5:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by deadokie21
Alright now run into a new problem.. Newly rebuilt carb. slapped it on.
got it running idles fine. i put it in rev give gas and dies. Though was fuel starvation but its not, richened up and nothing fuel pumps good. fuel filter good and accel pump good. Can rev in park no problem. sprayd carb cleaner around carb no leak there checkd all hoses no holes.. is it possible to have a hose in the wrong place?? and i plugged a hose from canister cause no plugs on carb for it all to small.. would that cause it if other hoses from canister are gettin suction. having a buddy come time with gun and adj air fuel. idle. choke. Any help is appreciated. ty.
One of those ports you plugged is wrong. I think that they connected to the vacuum reservoir to hold when the RPMs drop in gear. If they dont fit then get different ones. That suction is needed I think to keep the car from stalling in R or D.
Old April 11th, 2011, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

ok everything is good now.. ty for ur help lol. Went to smog and didnt pass damn.. egr isnt hooked up was looking at diagram and says connects to t.v.s. where is that my diagram looks little diff then actualy eng compartment itself.. pass corner theres the vac res... so dunno where to hook other end of egr vac hose to..
Old April 11th, 2011, 6:56 PM
CF Veteran

i just thought about that too, The egr valve isnt receiving vacuum on the line to pull it open during accel.

Nope. the EGR Valve has a vacuum hose that should be connected to the throttle valve somehow. So when the throttle is above idle but less than WOT there should be a draw on that hose to suck to open the EGR. You got a carb so the hose should either connect to one side of carb, probably at the base. Look for a plugged port on the carb. There may also be ported vacuum solenoid which do this exact thing. Nice to see what the engine bay looks like.

Quick Reply: 82 chevy Carb Backfiring when accel.