Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

88 Silverado paint question

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2009, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Silverado paint question

It's probably best if I get the color code and do some research, but...

My truck is a 1988 Silverado K1500 and I am doing some rust removal and touch ups. It is white and I plan to paint the truck myself.

I only plan to strip only the areas that need to be. The rest of the truck's paint will be sanded and painted over.

My question is what type of paint is on the truck and what type of paint will I be able to apply over the existing paint.

I opted out of changing the color due to the extent of work involved with door jams, under hood, between bed and cab, yada, yada...

Thanks
Old April 13th, 2009, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

Enamel? Epoxy? Acrylic? Oil? Latex? Waterborne? Water base? Lacquer Base? Watercolor? 1 part? 2 part? POWDER COAT????

Amazing! A world where everybody has an ******* and no opinion.
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Good news and bad news.

First the bad news. Most companies like "Dupli-Color" don't use the original factory/dealer paint name.(like "Summit White") I would seriously consider Rustoleum or another rust-inhibiting primer prior to using touch up on bare metal, if you don't want to see rust again in two weeks.

Now the good news. If you use the code in your glove box for your paint as per instructions in your owner's manual or any paint match-up manufacturer's instruction, you can get most Silverado colors not only in touch-up bottles, but also in spray cans. Some of the more popular colors come in full-size spray cans!
Old April 13th, 2009, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

I don't plan to paint bare metal with top coat. Here is the deal. I bought this truck for $750 and have a total of $3000 in it. It had surface rust over the entire roof. I removed it with Naval Jelly, elbow grease, and sanders. The truck does not have any other rust other than a few small dings. I will do the same as above to them. One front fender has some small flakes, I plan on sanding to the metal. Some small body work is needed at the rear tail light. All this will be primed with a high build sanding primer.

However I do not want to strip the entire truck. I would just like to rough up the good paint and then paint the entire truck white.

I know where to find the color codes, but they are no longer there. The VIN sticker is in the door jam, but no color code. It is not necessary to paint the truck the EXACT factory white. I just need to know what type of paint will be complimentary to the factory paint.

Is there a type of automotive paint that will cover pretty much any other automotive paint, without problems?

This truck is a nice truck and has 40,000 miles on a factory installed GM 350ci. I don't won't to shoot myself in the foot. However, I have a 3,000 square foot shop with spray room, because I do custom woodworking. I feel certain I can tackle this project with a professional look, if I have the right paint.

Thanks
Old April 13th, 2009, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

By the way the rust/bare metal is being treated with a automotive rust treatment prior to primer. It won't come back any time soon if ever.