Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

88 Silverado running rough!

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2011, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Silverado running rough!

New to the site so here is my first question. I have an 88 Silverado 4x4 with a 5.7 liter. I just replaced the engine with a factory crate engine from the dealership. New distributor, coil, wires, plugs, EGR, Water pump, and numerous sensors as well. When starting th truck first thing in the morning it doesn't run smooth. It acts like an old manual choke that hasn't been choked to run. Once it runs for a little while the engine smooths out some but still not correct. I have had it in the shop several times but noone can seem to find the right problem. Any ideas?
Old October 19th, 2011, 5:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

idle air control valve not functioning right. either open to far, or not far enough.
Old October 19th, 2011, 6:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxman04
idle air control valve not functioning right. either open to far, or not far enough.
I'd have to agree. Can you smell gas or is it rich exhaust? Either way it is either too rich, or too lean, my opinion based on your post.
Old October 19th, 2011, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
I'd have to agree. Can you smell gas or is it rich exhaust? Either way it is either too rich, or too lean, my opinion based on your post.
I did smell gas the other day when driving. I didn't think much of it cause I always carry a jug of gas in the back JIC!! It stumbles at stop lights, and while waiting in the drive thru, but as long as I keep my foot on the gas just a little it idles OK. Thanks for the info. I will check it out ASAP. I do have the Haynes book so I should be good from here. Should I worry about holming it out or should I just replace it?
Old October 20th, 2011, 5:25 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You can thank madmaxmann04 I just concur I also believe it's the idle air valve.
Old October 20th, 2011, 6:27 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Huntnm4ck
I did smell gas the other day when driving. I didn't think much of it cause I always carry a jug of gas in the back JIC!! It stumbles at stop lights, and while waiting in the drive thru, but as long as I keep my foot on the gas just a little it idles OK. Thanks for the info. I will check it out ASAP. I do have the Haynes book so I should be good from here. Should I worry about holming it out or should I just replace it?
replace it. costs 30-40 bucks.
Old October 20th, 2011, 6:37 AM
CF Senior Member

Did you already replace the coolant temp sensor?
Old October 20th, 2011, 7:08 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by shamrock246
Did you already replace the coolant temp sensor?
Yes the water temp sensor has been replaced.
Old October 20th, 2011, 7:10 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys I will get to this this weekend hopefully. I work 10 hour shifts and get a company vehicle to drive to work so not a necessity till Monday!! Looks like an easy swap according to the Haynes book I have.
Old October 20th, 2011, 5:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Huntnm4ck
Thanks guys I will get to this this weekend hopefully. I work 10 hour shifts and get a company vehicle to drive to work so not a necessity till Monday!! Looks like an easy swap according to the Haynes book I have.
very simple. shouldn't take more than 5, maybe ten minutes. unplug connector, loosen old iac, remove, replace, replug. done. the new idle air valve should come with a flat oring gasket. USE IT!! i've seen people lose their minds trying to figure out vacuum leaks only to find out that one little gasket would have prevented problems.

Quick Reply: 88 Silverado running rough!