Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

91 1500 turbo diesel engine trade out

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2009, 12:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 1500 turbo diesel engine trade out

hey i got an idea but i need some in put here.

ok im thinking about pulling my stock 4.3 v6 and dropping in a 6.3 turbo diesel into it. i need some ideas on engine bay mods to be able to relieve some of the heat stress and room issues. practicality isnt the issue here cuz i know its not im just going for a bit of uniquity here. so any input that doesnt tell me that id be better off buying an HD im not doing it so please constructive critisism only...
Old March 26th, 2009, 4:36 AM
CF Active Member

if im right then u shouldnt have to do anything to the engine bay cutting wise. id say motor mounts and things like that would be the only thing to swap out
Old March 26th, 2009, 1:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This sounds sort of cool, the untread path, as it were.

I don't have precise measurements or sizes, as I've never done this exact retrofit, but there are electric radiator cooling fans in many sizes which you can get at parts stores and off cars in junkyards to provide additional cooling.

You can ventilate stock skid plates by drilling holes or cutting slots with an angle grinder.
The same goes for wheel wells and interior body panels, but you have to be careful the additional airflow doesn't cause too much noise, or so much turbulence it affects your MPG to severely.

While Motor mounts themselves should be OEM or Aftermarket quality,don't be discouraged if you can't find mounting brackets, it's back to the junkyard, or even a scrapyard to look at shredder stock which might make a viable mount. I've used angle-brackets off a bed-frame to mount lights before.

Think outside the box. Cut,grind,and weld, then grind some more. It's mind over matter.(If you don't mind, it don't matter!)

And keep us posted, this sounds interesting
Old March 27th, 2009, 2:11 AM
CF Beginner

thanks all ill be going to OTC in the fall for classic car restoration so thankfully ill have free access to tools and major discounts on parts (such as brand new crate engines!!!) so after i finish hopefully ill be able to post pics.
Old March 27th, 2009, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Can you post some pics?