Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

'91 4.3L V6 runs for 15-20 minutes and then shuts down!??

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 4.3L V6 runs for 15-20 minutes and then shuts down!??

Hi gents,

I'm trying to get my daughter's truck back on the road and "can't get no satisfaction" from the best mechanics in this country (that's not really saying that much actually!).

The thing starts up, runs for 15-20 minutes and then shuts down for a random amount of time.

Various guys have; had the injectors out and checked/cleaned them, had the fuel pump out and checked/cleaned it, had the throttle body out and checked/cleaned it and some other stuff including taking out the fuel tank and cleaning it (which had a lot of dirty water in it). The last mechanic to look at it gave the truck back to my daughter with a big smile on his face saying it was all fixed and, yep, after 15-20 mins. she died just like before. The same guy then took it for a final spin with some electronics hooked up to her. His appraisal was that the on-board computer is heating up and cutting off the fuel injectors for some reason. He says we need a new computer!?

Thanks a million for any suggestions you may be able to come up with. I'm looking right now to order one or all of the following but don't really know what will improve the situation.

ECM computer
ECM PROM
IAC valve
MAP sensor
Throttle body repair kit
Throttle position sensor
Old June 23rd, 2011, 7:01 AM
CF Senior Member

can you hook a fuel pressure gauge to it and run it untill it dies to see if you have fuel pressure or not, you could have a fuel pump going bad,when you try to restart can you hear the fuel pump run?fuel pump relay going bad?do you have spark at the plugs after it dies,that dirty water in your tank could have taken out your fuel pump

Sean
97 4x4 burb
Old June 23rd, 2011, 2:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Seen a fuel pump do that..
Old June 23rd, 2011, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Good morning shamrock & laman,

Thanks to you both for the info. The truck is on a different island to where I am right now so I won't personally be able to get to her immediately but will beg, borrow or steal a fuel pressure gauge from someone and do the all diagnostics you suggested. It sounds like this may be the problem. I'll let you both know how it goes.

Once again, a BIG thanks for the input!